Best economy tune?

holy ****, the dude asked what was the best economy tune and you're talking about wind resistance, tires, and rotella? :confused:

if you've got any experience with different tunes on a 7.3, tell the man which one gave you the best mileage... even if you're lifted or whatever, the tune that gives the best economy is still going to give the best economy

how hard is it? :confused:
I did. Plus he asked questions about increasing mileage, yet showed interest in lifting and putting on bigger tires.... which will most likely decrease mileage. Hence the discussion of tires, resistance, etc.

There is no consensus anywhere that shows any specific tuner or tune that is proven to provide the best fuel economy. It varies from truck to truck, and driver to driver. So exactly how do you answer the question of the "best economy tune"? Sure people can post up their experiences, both good and bad, but it doesn't mean the OP will have the same result. I gave the two brands that I used as personal recommendations.

And to be honest, I haven't seen a difference in mileage between DP-Tuner and PHP.

Not to run from this discussion but this thread has been derailed and is off topic. If you want to continue this than start another thread. As far as the TSB like I said Ill have to dig it up.. I dont just sit here all day on the net. Ive got 3 different things goin on right now and this one will have to wait.. Priorities. Sorry for the derail.

Here, I'll help you. This is a list of the 6.0L TSB's:

http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/60bulletin.htm

And here's the TSB I mentioned earlier:

6.0 Oil Recommendations:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit hard starting, rough running and lack of power in cold temperatures, particularly on a cold start. This may be due to the oil being to thick for the operating conditions. Ford is recommending to use the following oils for the listed operating temperature.
SAE 15W-40 is the preferred oil above 30 degrees, but it is acceptable for use down to 10 degrees, and is recommended for towing down to this temperature.
SAE 10W-30 is the preferred weight between -10 to 30 degrees.
SAE 5W-30 and 5W-40 is acceptable for use below 30 degrees, and 0W-30 is acceptable below zero.
(All temperatures are in Fahrenheit.)
The oil used should meet Ford's specification of WSS-M2C171-D or API CI-4 PLUS, CI-4/SL or DHD-1. CH-4 is acceptable for use if CI-4 PLUS is not available. TSB #05-16-6.

And the web host's comments in regards to the oil rumors:
Keep in mind that CI-4 oil is designed for the increased soot contamination and higher coolant temperatures of cooled EGR systems on a diesel; CH-4 is not.
Nowhere does the TSB mention synthetic versus conventional oil recomendations or ranges.
Ford has not released anything recommending NOT to use a specific brand of oil.

On edit: I've done some more searching. All of this is most definitely based on an internet rumor. I've found threads that were nearly 10 years old claiming that Rotella was bad for our engines. People stated that Ford didn't recommend Rotella, that Ford engineers said it was bad for Powerstrokes, that Shell didn't meet Ford's requirements, etc. All of those have been debunked.

Ford has never come out and said to not use Rotella. No Ford engineer has stated that Rotella causes problems in the Powerstrokes.

These rumors are localized from diesel repair shops pushing specific brands of oil, as well as local dealerships doing the same thing. Then they hit the forums, and the e-myth is born. This myth is 10 years old. If there was any truth to Rotella oil actually causing problems with Powerstrokes, I'm positive that Ford and Navistar would have figured it out in those 10 years.

So let's use a tad bit of common sense here folks, and put things in perspective.

Last edited:
Give Jody and Diane a call with DP Tuner. They are very good with the 7.3 tuning! http://www.dp-tuner.com/. I run mine on 140 aggresive tune for everyday driving and sees the best fuel mileage with 35in tires and 4.5in lift.

Back