Best Engine/Tranny match 4 Race Truck

2ndGenSmoke

Im building a race truck and wanted some input from you guys. all i have right now is the truck. i need and engine and tranny to start working on and wanted to see what you guys would match together for the engine/tranny. Only thing i want is the engine has to be a CR. i like how easily it can be de tuned and tuned back up. so if you has a complete engine with all electronics and computer from ever year from 03 and up and a tranny from every year 94 and up what to models would you put together for a race truck.

race what you drove events, different tuning ability's, maybe take it out on the street ever once in awhile. lol thats all i can come up with.

03-04 CR or 6.7 with a stand alone Zeus/Nira/Bosch etc controller ,47RH tranny would be a good start or spring and do a built 48RE with a PCS controller. 50K for starters to get parts and hardware with with you doing all the labor. Read lots of threads on here for the right parts and setups.

4X4 or 2wd?

Or buy one built mostly on here for 30-60K and go start racing.

Good luck.

03-04 CR or 6.7 with a stand alone Zeus/Nira/Bosch etc controller ,47RH tranny would be a good start or spring and do a built 48RE with a PCS controller. 50K for starters to get parts and hardware with with you doing all the labor. Read lots of threads on here for the right parts and setups.

4X4 or 2wd?

Or buy one built mostly on here for 30-60K and go start racing.

Good luck.

No pcs I have a few friends that have had nothing but bad luck on high hp builds.(800+hp)

ok no pcs for you. you now can deduct 900 but still need a good VB so now your saving money.

On another note whats not working for them due to higer HP? Curious I have one now fairly recent with 1K on tap other than a bad gov solinoid things are good. Who's ATS or Suncoast? Dock Boy is running his in the 1K range.

They have burned clutches up because the line pressure could not ramp fast enough.

47/48RE with manual valve body would get my vote.

Very wise advise!! Full manual and full tv!!!
Note: always check line pressure rise and servo pressures at all ports related!!

Last edited:
Back