Best fuel system

diesel_ram_man said:
What is the best fuel system for these trucks for low to high hp trucks??

I'm not exactly sure which truck you are wanting info on. You posted the message in the 98-02 forum, but your sig says you are looking for a 12V.

I have had a RASP on my truck for almost 100K, and it has worked very well. It's a belt driven (still using the original belt), straight cut gear pump. I have it set to 18psi, and under high flows it will drop to about 15psi, going through the OEM filter system. The system still retains the original electric pump for backup, as well as priming the system (after fuel filter changes, etc). If the RASP should fail (pressure drops below 6 psi), a hobbs switch turns on the electric pump.

Paul

Best?
Mechanical fuel pump off a cam.

Most cost effective?
FASS system without the air/water seperators. Can easily plumb in your own for much less $$$$ if you can't live without it.

natfrost33

I have a 2002 24v h.o.. In my opinion for a quick and easy low fuel pressure problem is install a holley blue racing fuel pump. That is what i did with mine. I am not talking down on the fast systems at all if you got a lot of money. I wired and installed my in about 2 hours and for about 100$. My fuel pressure went from about 8psi at idle to about 15psi. I also run an edge comp box on my truck.At full throttle comp box maxed out my fuel pressure never drops below 7psi. Before the holley blue install at full throttle box up i would drop to almost 0. Thats asking to buy a new injection pump. They say you are safe if your fuel pressure never drops below five psi.

natfrost33 said:
I have a 2002 24v h.o.. In my opinion for a quick and easy low fuel pressure problem is install a holley blue racing fuel pump. That is what i did with mine. I am not talking down on the fast systems at all if you got a lot of money. I wired and installed my in about 2 hours and for about 100$. My fuel pressure went from about 8psi at idle to about 15psi. I also run an edge comp box on my truck.At full throttle comp box maxed out my fuel pressure never drops below 7psi. Before the holley blue install at full throttle box up i would drop to almost 0. Thats asking to buy a new injection pump. They say you are safe if your fuel pressure never drops below five psi.

Not quite true, the VP44 relies on extra fuel to cool the IP, the only way to get this extra fuel is to keep the volume of fuel available as high as possible. You really need a flow meter type guage to be accurate, but FP is a good indication. IMHO if you are dropping below 10psi under WOT you need to add some fuel supply, maybe in the form of bigger lines feeding the IP.

Don't get me wrong, not knocking the Holley, I run one myself feeding the stock pump and it keeps my 16psi guage pegged, for what I have now it's more than adequate, but hopefully not for long :evil

Anyway, that's my $.02 worth, for what it's worth LOL

I agree with the first reply. Get either a RASP or a MITUSA pump. They are pretty much the same setup. The MITUSA is made and sold by Opie of intelligent enginering. In my opinion mechanical is going to beat electric every time for reliablity, and IF the rasp or mitusa were to ever fail or stop pumping for any reason, the stock system automatically kicks back in. I dont' think you can beat them.

I had a FASS pump on my 02 and had a lot of trouble with it. Supposedly they are better now that they don't use brushes, but I dont' have any experience with the newer versions.

My $.02

Chris

natfrost33 said:

Nat...do you have the same problem with your truck using your comp box as I am having on my truck with my Juice? http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6433
Just curious. It seems there are a lot of folks having this same problem with juices and comps and no one has a solution...as of yet. Thanks, JWB

problems with comp box and juice

What problems are you having exactly with your comp box

diesel_ram_man said:
Yes I was talking about the 24valve VP trucks, thanks for the input

Hey kid,

I'll tell you from experience that you should get a FASS 150/150 BUT, that you can also buy and or build a variety of other things to do simlar.

Bought your truck yet?

Wyatt Earp said:
Hey kid,

I'll tell you from experience that you should get a FASS 150/150 BUT, that you can also buy and or build a variety of other things to do simlar.

Bought your truck yet?

Nahh not yet, still looking for the right truck @ the right price. And a least wait until i get my permit.

Don't know if this'll get me flamed or not but I have a Walbro set up with a Vulcan big line kit...I can barely move the pressure gauge at WOT...this is reputed to be a forever pump...

Another plug here for the belt driven RASP w/electric backup/prime pump. I've only had to replace the shaft seal at about the 60K mile point because of some sepage ,but it still held pressure like a mofo. At idle I have it set to 13.8, cruise at 15.8, at WOT...drops down to mid 13's. The FP is easily adjustable if you want to run more. With my future mods I plan on adding a shim or two to the pressure relief to bump the cruise/WOT pressure to the 18-20psi range.

Last edited:
i bought a used 150 fass off of a local guy that ran it for 15,000 miles and i have had it for about 12,000 now and its 100%fine, consistent 13.5 psi all the time never drops

i just intalled a bd auxilary pump inline with high flow hydraulic fuel lines and my fuel pressure stays at around 26psi at wot and at idle i sit at 30psi with the twins

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken 26 psi is a little high for the vp44, but I could be wrong:pop:.

Back