Best set-up

Well since you said you would settle for less... 4" exhaust, intake set up, 3" intake crossover or intercooler set, s362, tuned pump, and tight converter would give you a decent set up. Stock injectors are plenty large to start with.

This but add in a lift pump and 3200 or 4200 gov spring.

^I forgot about those and I did them less than a year ago. Don't get the cheap delphi pump, its the same psi as the diaphram. Don't forget to gauges either.

Would a manual transmission be stronger? I know a manual free's up some power, and they are a lot easier to build.

It's gonna take much more $$ to row your way into the 12's with a stick.

I agree with as stated above, Once I hit the 450hp range my reliability shot way down, once that started to happen I had to make one of two choices, 1 turn my truck down or 2 buy a new truck for a daily driver, Take me as example for a manual swap, I made 662hp and my best E/T was a 13.14 @ 112, granted once I hit the 1/8th my truck finally started gaining speed cause I was done shifting, If I was an automatic with a 112mph trap speed I would be in the 12.00-12.2 area and Ive dumped close to 6k in my truck, my clutch and upgraded shaft only being 1500

Oh that makes a lot of sense, didn't really think about that.. I understand that any project vehicle is going to have it's issues, but I only drive about 10-15 miles a day.

I found a used 47re with torque converter for $250. He also has adapter, flexplate, and starter for $150.

Hole lee chit...is this newbie actually listening???

There may be hope for this industry after all.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Try not to have it down too long. Mine was down for quite a while when the new
motor was being built, and now I'm having a hard time getting motivated to make changes.
Hopefully some of the parts will sell and I can get rid of it, even if it's just a piece at a time.
Have fun, but having a fast truck isn't always as much fun as wanting one.:doh:

Try not to have it down too long. Mine was down for quite a while when the new
motor was being built, and now I'm having a hard time getting motivated to make changes.
Hopefully some of the parts will sell and I can get rid of it, even if it's just a piece at a time.
Have fun, but having a fast truck isn't always as much fun as wanting one.:doh:

Agreed! I had a 88 ford ranger with a built 302 and 5 speed out of a 91 mustang, ran 12.31 at 114. I got tired of it and got this P.O.S. I just want something that is a sleeper.

I found a used 47re with torque converter for $250. He also has adapter, flexplate, and starter for $150.

Good price.

You're gonna needs a nicely built trans with a manual valvebody as the REs need a TCM. Lockup and OD will be on switches. Idk where you live but anyone who does Goerends work can build a nice unit then get a tq converter from Phil at DPC.

That is sweet! I would like something like that long term, but it will be a slow build. Maybe just collect parts until I have everything and build it all at once.

Back