BEST turbo under my 64/14 for twins?? S400?

oldsmokey97

ok. ... I am going to build a set of twins using my existing 64/14 for HTT. I am leaning towards the S400 series. But, what size S400 do yall think i should run?? 74mm? or upwards of like 80??
I still want to have decent spoolup and am looking for around 70-80psi to clean up this smoke and cool this baby down. More power too.

Also, what is the cheapest that a person could get an S400 for? I have seen them for $650 but i think that was the 74mm size.

What do yall think .... go with the 74mm or try to go bigger??

Lance

IMO stick with the 74. you're also going to need more fuel. That is a pretty big setup. You can get an s474 for cheaper than 650. I've found them for under 500, but I lost my hard drive and in turn lost all pages I had saved.

For the fuel you have I would want something bigger than a 74 MM. You need something around a 3.2 inducer. Use a good wastegate to set your boost.

I have the 62/12 with the S400 74mm, i think with your setup the S480 might be a touch on the big side. try the 74 and if you think you need more than you can upgrade to a 80 but,,,, a 74 costs almost 1/2 of an 80.
i say 74 for now, good luck.

i have PLENTY fuel to spool these things. I have WAY too much fuel now as it is........... i can peg my pyro in fourth gear at about 3400 rpm if i am in it hard.

How much would i cost to buy a regular S400 with the 74mm wheel and then upgrade it down the road? how much would it cost to upgrade??

Lance

my dual CP3's are goin on this week and my next move is probly gonna be upgrading my turbos,,,, 66/?? top, S480 on bottom.

if i dont drain the rail my temps are *1500+/- 1/4 mi.

but would a 80mm or so be too much??

I just dont think that the 74mm would be big enough for me to get the full use out of it.

Keep in mind I am looking for boost to be around the 65-75 range.

Please give me your input.

Lance

im at 65-70 lbs boost now. with dual pumps,,, who know's, too much im sure,,, 80ish? too much for just studs. my 74 works great though.

i would do the 74 and if you decide later to upgrade you can sell the 74 and go 80 for 5 bills more. bolt off-- bolt on, kinda like waxing but not really:hehe:

oldsmokey97 said:
but would a 80mm or so be too much??

I just dont think that the 74mm would be big enough for me to get the full use out of it.

Keep in mind I am looking for boost to be around the 65-75 range.

Please give me your input.

Lance

With the 64/14 on top, the S400 with an 80mm would be a pretty good match. The 80mm wheel flows about 20% more then the 74mm one. It will spool slower though.

Paul

Depending on your desired wishes for streetability- daily drivability- I'd say the 74 is a good starting point, later down the road if needed you can upgrade to the 80mm set-up.

I think i am going to go with the 74mm wheel.

WHY IN THE HELLLL does the 74mm cost $650 but then you go one step or so up and the cost doubles???

The inducer on the one im thinking about getting is 74mm and the exducer is around 100-102mm.

Do yall think this would yield me boost numbers in the 70-80 range???

lance

i just got off the phone with High Tech Turbo and they said that if i was planning on running the S400 with the 74 wheel with my 64mm that i would be pissing in the wind with the stock intercooler. They said everything would choke up soo bad. Is this true??

Also... the 74mm S400 cost 625 and the 80mm S400 cost upwards of $1100.

And.... if i were to want to upgrade down the road, that it would wind up costing me about another $600 to upgrade again.

I think i am for suree goiing the 74mm route.

Also, where is the best place to get a mount for it and the oil lines??

Lance

Ideally you would want to free up the restrictive mass of the factory intercooler with a free-er flowing intercooler......

yah.... i understand that, but would it be THAT bad using the stock intercooler???

Also, I asked HTT about spearco intercoolers too... and they said like around $1400. Holy Crap.

What else is out there besides spearco?

Lance

citydiesel.com i think had some for less.

like i said try the 74(S400), your in the middle with the 64 (74 or 80), if you had a 66 than id say 80 but for cost i say try the 74.

if your concerned about spool go 74, i have tons of fuel also but its a little slow to spool sometimes and i have a 3rd gen.
Smoke005.jpg
Smoke006-1.jpg

as you can see i can smoke like crazy if i want too, but once she lights its clean.

Back