better milage

smokeisfun

still learnin
I have a 2005 bone stock, absolutly not been touched and i want to keep it that way, but is all i can do for mileage is around 17-18 highway, and thats more or less babying it, i want to keep it as stock as possible, i will even sacrifice horse power if i can pull a few more miles per gallon, what are some of your thoughts on what to do, if any thing. I would like to keep the muffler on it also, didnt know if there is a program out there to fill my wants.

Get a timing/duration tuner and just keep your foot out of it. Best thing for you is wait for Efilive.

i get 22.9 mpg hand calculated with mine, mods in sig. just added an mp-8 to it recently and have not had a chance to calculate mpg. the fans and water pump made a good jump in mpg, but probably not to practical for someone trying to stay as close to stock as possible? like mentioned in an earlier post, might hold out for efi-live.

ya, a guy i work with has efi-live for his d-max but wont work with a cummins, but thanks for the help

Smokeisfun, you got 4.10s? Im having the same issues but im getting like 15 to 16mpg. Best was 600a miles on a tank which put me at 17mpg.

no i have 3.73's, i can consistantly get 17, i think how ever if i really baby it for a whole tank i could pull 18, but the conditions would have to be right, not driving into wind, not going up hill the whole trip and keeping it 60mph

Heck i think i could get close to 20mpgthe if i took a trip and ran 60. I st the cruise at 70mph and roll. I change gears at 2k rpms. Thats my way of babing it.

Yeah get a smarty and a set of gauges. Milage doesn't mean you loose horsepower. I've always Gotten better milage with a tuner on higher levels. But hey that's just me. I'm sure a tuner, no CAT, cold air intake or atleast a new intake tube, electric fans, and maybe grid heater delete. Not all needed but it's Worth a shot. I get 20-21 out of my 07 6speed with an SSR and 22-23 on my 03 automatic with SSR. Both 2wd.

Yeah ive gotten better mileage out of higher tuned trucks as well. Got a guy here that can tune my truck with any level smarty tune you want for 65 bucks with out vin locking it. He is an active member on here. I got glowcrap gauges im going to hook up next week after i get my pillar. Im a lil worried about how well the stock clutch is going to hold up to a level 7 smarty tune. It only has 20k miles on it. What do you think gibson? Sorry for the thread theft OP.

It'll hold up if you keep your foot out of it.

13.5 average towing or in town, empty on a trip break 15 now and again. Early 04 drw auto 4x4 and 4.10's

Correction the guy i refered to can not tune a Truck with a smarty without vin locking it. I got some bad second hand info. Lol

i was thinking maybe i would try some 25-50 hp nozzles and see if that helps first, puredieselpower has them for around 700 for a set, but i will see, i only put about 4-6 thousand miles on a year.

You must not drive much. I'm lucky to get by with 60-70,000 a year.

Yeah get a smarty and a set of gauges. Milage doesn't mean you loose horsepower. I've always Gotten better milage with a tuner on higher levels. But hey that's just me. I'm sure a tuner, no CAT, cold air intake or atleast a new intake tube, electric fans, and maybe grid heater delete. Not all needed but it's Worth a shot. I get 20-21 out of my 07 6speed with an SSR and 22-23 on my 03 automatic with SSR. Both 2wd.

What are your current settings on the 2007 with SSR?

hmm last few tanks ive averaged 18-19 mpg

smarty on 5, AFE 2, magnaflow, and 285 sized muds... I get almost 650 miles per tank, with 90 percent highway commute 50 mile round trip, and 10 percent city with 70 mph cruise..

guess im lucky, but i recently added new injectors, and add stanadyne every tank, and run a 2 micron filter...

Oh forgot to add 3.73 rear gears, crew cab long box, with tank and box, steps bumpers etc etc etc

I drive this truck 12K miles a year now, have 95 toy and honda passport for commuting at longer trips.. 26 mpg consistantly

Last edited:
What are your current settings on the 2007 with SSR?

On my 03

TQ 1
Timing 30low 25high
Duration 25low 21 high
Rail 35 on both

My 07 I change settings like crazy.

Havnt dynoed yet but my gauge readings arent too drastic. But every trucks is different. Can't wait for the UDC from smarty to come out!

Keep your paint and windows waxed along with your wheels polished.. Less wind drag.

My 05 tends to get better fuel mileage when run on bio diesel. It's just b10 but it helps. I can get right at 16 in town and upper 17's on the highway. Straight highway I think i remember calculating 18.4 once, I can't remember.

Back