Beware of Maxtorq

rebel23326

I have had 3 issues now with Rob and have attempted to make contact numerous times about these issues. I have contacted my attorney about these issues and have contacted Rob about it with still no response. Buyers beware!

Issue 1:
November 2013
He put a new head gasket and arp headstuds in my 2000 cummins as well as a new top turbo and other things on my compounds. I picked up the pickup and was told about a few small cracks on the exhaust seats on the head and was told the head was true. The head gasket he installed was I believe a .020" over marine gasket, along with ARP studs. I drove from Golden CO to Hartford CT, and made it back to Jefferson City MO when I noticed oil pouring out my coolant overflow. After taking it back to him he said the head was warped as was the block (a total of .011" between the 2). I took it home unfixed so I could figure out how that could happen having been babied my whole trip. Nothing has been done since

Issue 2:
June 2014
I had EFI Live and a brand new fully built 48re built and installed by Rob after I lost my overdrive housing due to a break. He built and replaced the trans and within 1 month the front pump seal started leaking. I have made numerous attempts for the last 9 months to get ahold of him with no returned calls or returned voicemails.

Issue 3:
April 2015
I installed new injectors in my 2007 cummins and needed the EFI Live to be retuned. After, again, numerous failed attempts at contacting him, I took it to Another shop (name withheld for privacy reasons). They took the pickup out to data log it and found the EFI tuning from Rob was no good. He thinks it was due to Rob not having a compatible file put back in after being altered, therefore I did not actually have the EFI Live Rob claimed to have put in the vehicle. $660 later I have good tuning from them. I also had to pay for a new stock file as Rob claims to have not saved the original.

Again guys beware! This is not the first instance I've heard of him having issues, I know of at least 5 others now. Rob seems to be a decent person, but a terrible business owner that won't own up to his work.

News to me Mark. I don't do text messages or answer phone calls at 0600 am on a Sunday morning. As for the EFI live file I lost the it when the new Verus failed on me. Now for all intensive purposes that tune at the time was done by Starlite as stated when you dropped in. I have no knowledge about your pump seal. I would have taken care of it immediately. As for your head you yourself were advised on the head and YOU sir said you did not have the money to make it correct and you were in a hurry to make a hot shot run and needed the truck. I got you going and told you that you were on borrowed time.

So again every job I have done for you I have been open and up front about it.

Last edited:
Seems like a bit of fault on both sides. But if you're going to take a vehicle that you know has issues. Whether it be due to lack of time, or lack money. The consequences are all on you. Why were you texting or calling on the weekend? Is this an actual business?

Mark has a bad habit of texting late at night and at times as early as 5am. Shop hours are Monday to Friday 7am to 5. Sorry I'm just not going just out of bed or entertain calls late in the evening. My cell used to be the business line. Shop has its own number and has had for years now. Shop has two lines as well leave a message my wife or I will get back to you.

If you've had so many issues with him then why take your stuff back to have him work on it? I've done a couple transactions with him and he has always been an upfront and honest seller/buyer.

Last edited:
Like 08 said if so many issues why keep going back? But I Have had several dealings with Rob and have had no issues. And my tranny has had 0 issues and lives a ruff life.

if issue 1 was really an issue, issue 2 would never have come up. your violin has silent strings my friend.

The reason I took the pickup was because yes I didn't have the money needed to fix, and Rob my invoice even states "inspected head, head was true with noted cracks around exhaust seats. Customer was notified" so want to lie some more? I finally got some money and took it to a trusted machine shop for an opinion, finding out, either Rob had not been honest about how "true" the head/block were, or the install was not correct. As for the pump seal, I called the SHOP close to 40 times about it, leaving voicemails, emailing, messaging to your Facebook page, and never ONCE got a response. As far as the calling on a weekend goes, I called your cell TWICE. Once when YOUR transmission wouldn't shift out of drive, and once when I needed an 07 exhaust manifold as I was stranded in Louisville. As for the EFI, that's quite funny Rob, because when I showed up at your shop, on a weekday, at 10 till noon you closed and locked your doors on me. I stuck around till 1:20 thinkin ok he's prolly takin a lunch no biggie, and as soon as I take off at 1:20 because I went and talked to ATS, your door goes open as I get passed your neighbor. After having gone to ATS, being irritated with you I came back to the shop, get out of my pickup, walk in to the shop to be greeted with "mark I'm not doing business with you anymore". I told you that was fine, that I was having a possible sponsor retune my efi and I needed the stock file put back in. You then told me "I don't have the stock file, the stock file is the one that's been changed and tuned". I said ok, asked where to get one and you said call Zach I believe at starlight. I left since you couldn't stop spray painting the shop truck for 2 min to talk to me and that was that. 08 and RDP I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt since I didn't know the true cause on issue one until not long ago. Both the Trans and efi issues happened and I still have him the benefit of the doubt trying to get ahold of him for 8 months. After that I got sick and fed up with it. You would think having spent close to $20,000 there, I woulda gotten a little more respect from Rob.

Rob as far as the weekend calls go, I called you on the transmission issue because you had told me when I picked up the 07, if you have any problems, call me, so I did. When it comes to the manifold, yea that was my fault and I apologized since I had forgotten about the 2 hour difference in Louisville. That being said, even after the apology I get a text from you saying "mark it's 530am, you can take you manifold and shove it up your ass" to which I did not even respond.

[ame="http://s786.photobucket.com/user/rebel23326/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_2.jpg.html"]image_2.jpg Photo by rebel23326 | Photobucket[/ame]

I no longer have the phone I had last year for the text messages but I might have screenshotted the text from Rob, I'm not sure. But this is the image of my invoice where Rob told me about the head.

I originally took the pickup, from the time of this invoice with the understanding that the motor was fixed. Not told of any critical issues and told I just needed to take it easy for awhile, which is what I did. After the whole incident and being trailered from Missouri to Maxtorq, I was told of the head and block being "untrue" and that's when I trailered the pickup home because I had things to do.

And not enough money to spend. I trusted Rob's evaluation on it until I brought up the issue with the owner of a machine shop and he voiced his concerns about faulty install, or lying in the first place, I saved up some money at that point and had the motor inspected by a third party.

The reason I took the pickup was because yes I didn't have the money needed to fix, and Rob my invoice even states "inspected head,

I originally took the pickup, from the time of this invoice with the understanding that the motor was fixed.

I'm confused by these two statements. If you picked up a truck that wasn't fixed then that's completely on you.

He notified you of an issue, you knowing drove off with that issue present it's not his fault.

If he said nothing and then when the head came off again and it was found to be the cause of a problem then sure it could come back on him, but if he says there's an issue with the head and then you drive off it's on you.

08, I'm not worried about how it sits, I didn't have the money to fix it the second time and so I brought it home till I did have the money, then found out the cause of the issue when he put it back together.

Three - I won't disagree with you, but I won't agree either. He did notify me on the cracks, but they were normal micro cracks you see in just about every 200k mile cummins. They weren't big gaping ones, and certainly not ones large enough to warp both a head, and block, in 2500 miles. I had even asked Rob if they were a big issue to worry about when he told me about them, to which he stated they weren't a major issue and most pickups have them. He said I was on borrowed time and the head will need fixed in the future if I decide to make more hp. I said ok with the understanding that the cracks were not major issues as it was normal.

The overall point of the 00 motor is that he either lied about the head being true or installed the head studs/gasket improperly resulting in a complete failure of my motor

Back