Big Bad Getrag

nborga87

Poor Boy Puller
How much power and abuse will these old things stand up to? What is the most you ve seen thrown at them that they d handle?

I hear one held over 700 rwhp over the weekend The rag is actually a pretty tough customer. Don't hurry the shifts, overfill by 1 quart and it will put up with some abuse. I never had enough clutch to do a boosted launch with mine. Some other fellas will chime in shortly though

Mine held up after I P Pumped my 93. I made 903ft lbs and ripped the crap out of it. Never pulled a sled with it thought, doubt it would last in front of a sled. I think it lasted 3 years befor the new owner put a NV4500 in her.

It was Stomp that made 708, with a VE pump no less. Gotta imagine he's well over 1k torque. Heck, I peeled 3rd gear off the countershaft of my 'superior' nv4500 with a whopping 300rwhp, so you just never know when junk is gonna let go...

i pulled with my getrag this year and it held up so far but the truck started the season as stock and by the end of the season the truck maybe made around 500 as a guess. im gettin ready to build a new motor for the truck this winter. im hoping that if i dont get the funds or time to swap in an nv 4500 this winter that that getrag will hold up for at least a little while. I mean i dont daily drive the truck and i definately dont try ripping through the gears so im hoping that ll help some. but that constant strain from the sled is murder on anything. I guess we ll just have to wait and see.

Yeah, I'd think you're on borrowed time if you're putting 500 to the wheels. Depends a lot on driver, setup and track conditions, but all that aside, those weenie little countershaft bearings have got to be hating life!

I'm on my third input shaft, i'm a little ruff on it I shift faster than it can go in gear lol. But other than that it's held up fine to all my abuse on the street and strip.

1715f36f.jpg

CNP-nice carnage:clap:

To the original poster--nice truck! Had a white one just like it, only with about 300 less HP:lolly:

Thank you I hope that's all I break for a while!

I agree run it till it gives that's what I'm doin!

thanks rob haha, that thing has been a tough mother f**ker this year. I ve broke how man drive shafts, ripped the pinion out, and its still there. knock on wood ive been impressed by this thing that everyone said will never last. and thanks G1625s im glad you like her

It was Stomp that made 708, with a VE pump no less. Gotta imagine he's well over 1k torque. Heck, I peeled 3rd gear off the countershaft of my 'superior' nv4500 with a whopping 300rwhp, so you just never know when junk is gonna let go...
Last I had seen STOMP made 690 with water and meth before the pump crapped.....VEs not going to last being built at that level..

I have been pulling over three years pulling on my Getrag! It still shifts good! I just overfill it with synthetic! This year I have been around 450hp on the Getrag. I am running mine till it blows up since I am saving all the money for a good p-pump and fuel system! Run it till its no more.

I am think about going to the track to see what time I will run after our last pull.
I am hoping a few times down the track trying to shift it quick won't hurt it.

anything can be built to hold up to power we currently have a getrag that is coupled to 450 RWP and can be shifted with no clutch as fast or faster than an automatic been around for the last 30K

Back