Big garrett twins questions???

phatboy07

Hey guys, i came across a big garrett turbo for a good deal. It a tv8101... Comp a/r .95, turbine a/r 1.84... Trim 62. Comp side inducer measures 85mm.

Would i be able to spool it running my 64/71 on top. Im looking to clear up my top end. At 42psi i still have a good haze with my 64, with 4k springs, MIA plate, 5x14s, 181s, and 16.5 timing. On a 215 pump

That turbine AR sounds pretty big... 1.84 I'm sure it will still spool up when you start pushing 500+ HP worth of exhaust through it.

Well my truck spun 480hp... Do you think i have the fuel to spool that big of a turbo. And will running that setup make my truck more laggy?

Problem with the older TV8101's was the thrust system. The thrust bearing was literally the size of a quarter. Will not take much thrust load at all. Also those older turbines are slow to spool and add a 1.84 A/R and spoolup would be measured by calendar days.

Thats the info i needed... So wat would be the ideal turbo to throw under my 64/71, without gettin to much lag. I have always wanted a s480... But im pretty green in the turbo match and mapping area

I just want some more air.... Up on the topend. I could always adjust my w/g on my 64. I see bout 45psi WOT... Then my w/g opens and the guage will drop to 42. But i dont have studs... Just new bolts overtorqued to 135 after some heat cycles after rebuild

I just want some more air.... Up on the topend. I could always adjust my w/g on my 64. I see bout 45psi WOT... Then my w/g opens and the guage will drop to 42. But i dont have studs... Just new bolts overtorqued to 135 after some heat cycles after rebuild

I would suggest that you adjust the wastegate to 55 psi, and see if that gets you the topend power you're looking for. Right now, at 42-45psi, I'd say you're only using 80% of that turbo's reliable capability. Run the boost up a little higher by adjusting the wastegate settings and you'll be much more satisfied.

Thanks to everyone. Helped me out alot.
Hey big blue... You coming out to AZ for the opener in march? If ya are... Ill make sure to find ya and bs alil bit

Last edited:
Thats the info i needed... So wat would be the ideal turbo to throw under my 64/71, without gettin to much lag. I have always wanted a s480... But im pretty green in the turbo match and mapping area

For that combo and something that will make 1000hp or so and still spool very fast, I would suggest the S400-80 with the 92mm LDP turbine wheel and 1.10A/R. Spool extremely quick, much better transient boost on and off throttle response as well.

Just trying to learn here, so why would a gt42 be to small? Would my 64 over speed the Gt? And Could you use the gt with a smaller secondary like a 62 or stocker?

Last edited:
Back