Biggest Single On Stock Fuel

DaveMatthews

Just wanting to find out what you guys are running. I'm really interested in the biggest single that you guys have installed on a stock fuel system. Whether it worked or not, what do/did you have or what have you tried. I'm going with a big single and want something that the stock fuel system almost can't spool. Hopefully that will give me plenty of growing room in the aspect of cp3, sticks, etc...

got a buddy with a 08 that is running a 71/73 with stock everything minus smarty tnt and airdog i believe. He likes it, and says it spools decent.

got a buddy with a 08 that is running a 71/73 with stock everything minus smarty tnt and airdog i believe. He likes it, and says it spools decent.

I was wanting to go w/a little bigger than that. 72/83/74 1.0 ar
Or maybe get two exh housing. .9 and 1.1?? For when I get more fuel. I know the smaller one's gonna choke it down pretty good. But shouldn't that help with spool until I get the upgrades.

.90 would be kinda small depending on what you go with dp would be pretty crazy I would think but a 1.10 wouldn't be too awful bad

.90 would be kinda small depending on what you go with dp would be pretty crazy I would think but a 1.10 wouldn't be too awful bad

So ya think a 1.1 would be small enough to allow me to spool it. *I'm not considered with turbo lag or it being a PITA, I expect that without the fuel to feed it* I just want to make sure I can spool it, whether this means slow starts and keeping rpm's up while driving is fine with me. Just want one that's just barely gonna work on a stock system. I want lots of growing room. :Cheer:

.90 s400 will be ok on a stock fuel system any bigger and it is not going to spool very good, the 83/74 s400 wheel moves a lot of air so do not be scared to go tight on the ar. I ran a 468 with a big cp3 and stock sticks it was ok but pretty laggy for the street, a cam helped some but it all depends on what your goals are. Also everyone has a different version of what an acceptable amount of lag is. The 468 would start too spool about 1800,20 psi at 2200, and full song at 2400. IMHO any bigger compressor on a stock fuel system would be way too laggy but everyone is different. I would say if your goals fall between 550 to 700ish a 66/73/.90 with a gate would be your best bet.

.90 s400 will be ok on a stock fuel system any bigger and it is not going to spool very good, the 83/74 s400 wheel moves a lot of air so do not be scared to go tight on the ar. I ran a 468 with a big cp3 and stock sticks it was ok but pretty laggy for the street, a cam helped some but it all depends on what your goals are. Also everyone has a different version of what an acceptable amount of lag is. The 468 would start too spool about 1800,20 psi at 2200, and full song at 2400. IMHO any bigger compressor on a stock fuel system would be way too laggy but everyone is different. I would say if your goals fall between 550 to 700ish a 66/73/.90 with a gate would be your best bet.

I'm building mine for racing only. However, I will dd it when I want. As far as a goal. lets say 800 +. I'm not looking for specific numbers on hp, want to hit 11's in the 1/4, then decide from there. (IE strip her down and go nutz, or keep trying to maintain driveability and get numbers down a little bit). Just depends on which class I end up liking the most.

What I was looking at doing really was the 72/83/74 w/no goodies, bone stock. 1.00 ar. On my stock fuel system. And driving it that way for a little bit (Lets say a month) Then going with 120 cp3, 150 sticks.
Doing that for a little while, then cam.

Getting experience at every interval dialing her in. Of course studs, springs, etc...will go on w/the appropriate mod.

As far as acceptable lag, doesn't matter to me. I can drive around with my hand on the shifter and keep her at 2000 all day long. :rockwoot:

I'm building mine for racing only. However, I will dd it when I want. As far as a goal. lets say 800 +. I'm not looking for specific numbers on hp, want to hit 11's in the 1/4, then decide from there. (IE strip her down and go nutz, or keep trying to maintain driveability and get numbers down a little bit). Just depends on which class I end up liking the most.

What I was looking at doing really was the 72/83/74 w/no goodies, bone stock. 1.00 ar. On my stock fuel system. And driving it that way for a little bit (Lets say a month) Then going with 120 cp3, 150 sticks.
Doing that for a little while, then cam.

Getting experience at every interval dialing her in. Of course studs, springs, etc...will go on w/the appropriate mod.

As far as acceptable lag, doesn't matter to me. I can drive around with my hand on the shifter and keep her at 2000 all day long. :rockwoot:

Race only huh, 87 turbine and a 1.0 housing. The 83/74 can be pushed to its limit before 800 is reached. You might look at the 78 Li compressor, you could probably stay on top of it with your future mods.

Race only huh, 87 turbine and a 1.0 housing. The 83/74 can be pushed to its limit before 800 is reached. You might look at the 78 Li compressor, you could probably stay on top of it with your future mods.

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna go just a tad slower than an 78.Lol
I understand the 72 might no make it to 800, but it will to 11's in the quarter. Which is really what i will measure. Really i'm just trying to pick a good starting place. Everybody is stuck on a silver 66. To me its too small of a step, seems like you won't gain anything from it.

Why not use an HE451Ve, HE551Ve or HE561Ve? If they're big enough to make 500hp on a 15L one should be plenty for a little 6.7L.

Why not use an HE451Ve, HE551Ve or HE561Ve? If they're big enough to make 500hp on a 15L one should be plenty for a little 6.7L.

A vgt. No thanks. Last time i heard, there will still nobody drag racing on a vgt. Atleast not competive racing. Besides, mines already clogged up, real pita to clean.

A vgt. No thanks. Last time i heard, there will still nobody drag racing on a vgt. Atleast not competive racing. Besides, mines already clogged up, real pita to clean.

They are still tuning them.. the tech hasn't been around THAT long.

Enlighten us with you vast knowledge and intelligence then..........

Maybe he doesnt get the OP doesnt have millions of dollars behind his racing efforts like Audi (for sure) and Banks does...nore the time for endless hours of testing, testing, testing, and re-testing different set-ups.

No disrespect intended Dave.

And since when does Audi "drag race"? I would hardly call the 24 Hours of Le Mans a "drag race". A 100 yard sprint and a 30 mile marathon are too different things..

Last edited:
66/74/14 spools very easily but stock trans tuning makes the truck a pita to drive

Try taking your head out from under the rock.
Audi and Banks, just to name two of the bigger ones.

Sweet, when they get em figured out and up for sale for the same price as a say s472, then we will look into it.

Smoken gun- non taken, i'm an electrician, gotta spend on what wrks, let the heavy hitters develop the new stuff.

300d. There was an article in dp mag, that guy ended up taking his 451 off, too complicated to tune with all the variables we are facing these days.

I'll stick with something a little less complicated on that side of the motor.

Sweet, when they get em figured out and up for sale for the same price as a say s472, then we will look into it.

Smoken gun- non taken, i'm an electrician, gotta spend on what wrks, let the heavy hitters develop the new stuff.

300d. There was an article in dp mag, that guy ended up taking his 451 off, too complicated to tune with all the variables we are facing these days.

Oh Audi has their dual Garrett VGT set-up dialed, no doubt about that. Five 24 Hours of Le Mans overall victories with their diesel LMP1 cars (R10, R15, and R18) says all that needs be said.

Dont think Audi would share there set-up thoughLOL, nore would what works on there insane 5.5L V-12, 5.5L V-10, and 3.7L V-6 diesel race engines have anything to do with what works on your 6.7L Cummins (no disrespect).

Hey, Peugeot's 908 HDi FAP LMP1 diesel also uses dual Garrett turbos, maybe you should call themLOL!

I dont even want to know what those turbo set-ups cost. Actually I do, but I dont want to ever pay it ;).

Good luck with your turbo selection man!

Oh Audi has their dual Garrett VGT set-up dialed, no doubt about that. Five 24 Hours of Le Mans overall victories with their diesel LMP1 cars (R10, R15, and R18) says all that needs be said.

Dont think Audi would share there set-up thoughLOL, nore would what works on there insane 5.5L V-12, 5.5L V-10, and 3.7L V-6 diesel race engines have anything to do with what works on your 6.7L Cummins (no disrespect).

Hey, Peugeot's 908 HDi FAP LMP1 diesel also uses dual Garrett turbos, maybe you should call themLOL!

I dont even want to know what those turbo set-ups cost. Actually I do, but I dont want to ever pay it ;).

Good luck with your turbo selection man!

No kidding, i don't think i can even afford the air they put in their tires. LOL

I was thinking of putting a 72/83/74 on. But am still up in the air. I think I'm gonna fix the tranny issue first. Really hard to do the non power parts first, but hey kind of hard to use that power when you don't have a tranny..

That should give me time to research my turbo. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction to begin with, ie twins... I need to drive some trucks with the different setup's...maybe that would help out. :pop:

They are still tuning them.. the tech hasn't been around THAT long.
Just 22 years in the automobile world, 10 years in trucks and 100 some-odd years in power generation.

Maybe he doesnt get the OP doesnt have millions of dollars behind his racing efforts like Audi (for sure) and Banks does...nore the time for endless hours of testing, testing, testing, and re-testing different set-ups.

Oh hell, where are my millions of dollars? :rockwoot:
Don't be such a scared little baby. Its a turbo. The only difference is a set of vanes instead of a hole covered by a valve. If such a concept is too complicated for you to figure out, you don't belong in motorsports.

No OEM can match the prices of cheap third party clones, OEM quality standards are too high.

So because he got frustrated and gave up, everyone else should too? Makes perfect sense. :bang

bif
Then why are you here? This is "competition diesel", not "minimum effort diesel".

Dont think Audi would share there set-up thoughLOL
Audi uses a Garrett TR30R with a VGT turbine.

nore would what works on there insane 5.5L V-12, 5.5L V-10, and 3.7L V-6 diesel race engines have anything to do with what works on your 6.7L Cummins (no disrespect).
The only disrespect done is to yourself. If you can't learn from them then there is no hope for you, so you might as well give up and pick a less complicated hobby.

Last edited:
Back