Biggest Towing turbo?

JBoner

Want to know the biggest single I can run without surging problems, looking at s300 based turbos but too many to decide and the knowledge base on this forum is far past mine. Ive looked at the threads on flow rates and 10 vs 11 exhaust wheel, my head hurt's now and im still unclear as to what would be the best. I want six hundred on fuel alone, but I wont expect that power for the times im towing. Any help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

Let the BS flags begin, but i know two guys that tow with silver 66's and i personally tow with a 2.8 hx50 on my 12v. The one truck with a street cam doesn't surge at all. The other with stock cam will surge if you try to hold it at 25-30 lbs boost but that could also be the freakin CDS 5k springs because that truck does it with other turbos too. Tim

What year truck?

Sorry for the lack of info, I'ts A 97' 12v 5 speed with a 10 plate, boost elbow, fire rings, 12mm studs, 60# springs, 3kgsk, BHAF, and straight piped. Going to do 5 inch exhaust and 4kgsk when i do the turbo.

What kind of EGT's can you tolerate? If you want to tow with a 600 hp single turbo 12v that number better be pretty high.

I do alot of towing My HTT 62 65 ss13 is the best I have run for towing next to the stock turbo My s3o0 g wasent to bad but was slower to spool up than my SS13

MY bubby went from a BD 57 65 14 (s300G) to a II 62 71 14 and hates it for towing but loves the top end power it has over his BD turbo

The silver series is a way better towing turbo than the standard 62 thats why they made the silver series

DDP75 or 90 injectors and 191's are on the list also, but i also have A turbo mustang that eats money so im on the "in steps" program.

Gotcha!

Do you tow heavy? (twins would be a better option if you do)

Exxiss 2 car enclosed trailer with 2 cars, and flatbed gooseneck with Skidsteer.
Trying to stay away from twins, but not totally opposed to the idea. I am A Dealer for turbonectics, BD, Precision, etc., just trying to decide the best route to go without issues of wrong matched parts and doing it twice.

If your willing to keep the engine wound a little tight while towing, there is a 66/68/.83 turbo in the classifieds now that would work. And would support your 600 hp goal. But a "good" towing single, and 600 hp single all in one package is kind of tough.

If you can spool a silver 62, you can spool a sps 66.

The silver series is a way better towing turbo than the standard 62 thats why they made the silver series

Uhhh, I don't think so. That Silver is relatively lazy compared to even a 64/71. The funny thing is that I got my Silver to where it was spooling pretty quick and towing well until I swapped it for my current 64. My opinion of the Silver 62 changed overnight. My 64 spools 150 RPMs faster in all applications than the Silver 62 did on my truck.

I can easily tow better with the 64/71 and get more air to keep the EGT down.

Sorry for the lack of info, I'ts A 97' 12v 5 speed with a 10 plate, boost elbow, fire rings, 12mm studs, 60# springs, 3kgsk, BHAF, and straight piped. Going to do 5 inch exhaust and 4kgsk when i do the turbo.

what gears? tires size will play into this as well

Back