Billet Intermediate Shaft

jambbii

milk
Would it be worth putting in a 2wd duallie (500hp)? I have one from Opie laying around and was going to throw it in my 06 when I pull it apart otherwise I might just get rid of it.

Josh

This is my first 2wd truck. I have broken plenty of hard parts in my 95. I was going to be putting a billet input in soon and I figured while I have it apart.

Great topic for discussion. FOOD FOR THOUGHT... Tim Barber builds my tranny's long story short, 2 years ago trans was running very hot and no OD, told tim I am building twins and wanted to put a billet intermediate in the truck, Drive down to VA Beach, disassemble trans and the OD problem was from a broken intermediate shaft where the oil passage through the shaft to feed the OD unit was restricted and seeping through the crack in the shaft. This was after tim tried to talk me out of the billet investment. With that being said, the truck had a TST comp and bone stock otherwise and managed to snap an intermediate. I never launched the truck, wheel hopped or did anything stupid to cause this. Just pull my skid loader around which weighs in at 11,000 + 4k trailer......... Obviously he had NEVER seen this happen but it happened to me......

I thought the idea was to leave the stock intermediate shaft in the transmission to allow for "flex" if you have billet input and output. That theory always seemed to make sense in my head... Something has to give a little.

Great topic for discussion. FOOD FOR THOUGHT... Tim Barber builds my tranny's long story short, 2 years ago trans was running very hot and no OD, told tim I am building twins and wanted to put a billet intermediate in the truck, Drive down to VA Beach, disassemble trans and the OD problem was from a broken intermediate shaft where the oil passage through the shaft to feed the OD unit was restricted and seeping through the crack in the shaft. This was after tim tried to talk me out of the billet investment. With that being said, the truck had a TST comp and bone stock otherwise and managed to snap an intermediate. I never launched the truck, wheel hopped or did anything stupid to cause this. Just pull my skid loader around which weighs in at 11,000 + 4k trailer......... Obviously he had NEVER seen this happen but it happened to me......

4x4 or 2wd

I thought the idea was to leave the stock intermediate shaft in the transmission to allow for "flex" if you have billet input and output. That theory always seemed to make sense in my head... Something has to give a little.

It has been working great for me...

I put a billet input and intermediate in mine...outputs are easier to change. LOL

Snapped a billet input, Stock intermediate and output were unscathed. Until its proven the billet intermediate is stronger, I'll keep my money.

I put a billet input and intermediate in mine...outputs are easier to change. LOL
x2

It's my understanding that the output popping tends to often have less collateral damage as compared to the input and intermediate.

(But don't ask me, I've busted all three stockers with stupid-boosted launches :doh: )

Snapped a billet input, Stock intermediate and output were unscathed. Until its proven the billet intermediate is stronger, I'll keep my money.

I used to pop inputs till I quit using the Opie once I swapped to the sonnax 2nd pass I snapped the stock Int shaft. That sealed the deal for me on Billet Int. shafts...

I snapped a new factory intermediate inztalled a billet inter and input and broke 1 factory output. I am a believer in billet in's and inter's with factory outs!

Back