Billet or no billet

Justin Rhodes

What's everyone's thoughts of billet compressor wheels? Is there enough gain to be worth the extra cash?

I'm plan to be ordering a s475 this week and can't decide to go billet or cast.

And some weight reduction
No.
Solid wheels are more dense and uniform than cast wheels, which means they are heavier but much stronger.

What's everyone's thoughts of billet compressor wheels? Is there enough gain to be worth the extra cash?

If you plan on keeping the truck several years or push the turbo to it's limits, absolutely.
The whole "If you don't know why you need a billet wheel, you don't need a billet wheel" thing is just plain dumb.

No.
Solid wheels are more dense and uniform than cast wheels, which means they are heavier but much stronger.

If you plan on keeping the truck several years or push the turbo to it's limits, absolutely.
The whole "If you don't know why you need a billet wheel, you don't need a billet wheel" thing is just plain dumb.

I was referring to aftermarket designed billet wheels compare to stock design cast wheels.

from phone

Cast wheels work very well. You've got to be hell bent on getting every last pony out of your motor to need a billet wheel. The added weight of a billet wheel also slows spool-up.

No.

Complete myth on density. Please pick up a metallurgy book and read it sometime.

Billet wheels can weigh more or less than a stock cast unit, totally depends on what the designer is trying to do with it.

Last edited:
Billet has been kinda touchy in mine. With my 2.6 cover it works great 50 plus psi but with a 3.0 cover its still about 50 psi. Was pushing more with a cast wheel and a 2.8 cover.

Back