binding in front end

eric13

I have a 2002 six speed 4x4. When it is in four wheel drive it seems like something is binding up in the front end. It is a real loud banging sound or pop when it happens. Lokked at all the u joints they all look fine so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas??

Every thing I have read and searched on points to a u joint somewhere and in the front axle more than anything. No shiny metal and no grease running out and everything feels tight. I guess I will just have to pull it apart and maybe it will show then. Thanks for the reply that wasn't sarcastic.

Garantee it's a loose steering box. My truck did this for ever. Changed everything. On the drivers side, tighten the 3 bolts threw the frame that hole the steering. It may feel tight but a 1/4 turn on 2 bolts fixed my popping

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Garantee it's a loose steering box. My truck did this for ever. Changed everything. On the drivers side, tighten the 3 bolts threw the frame that hole the steering. It may feel tight but a 1/4 turn on 2 bolts fixed my popping

If that was the case wouldn't it do it in two wheel drive too? I will definitely check that though. Thanks.

If that was the case wouldn't it do it in two wheel drive too? I will definitely check that though. Thanks.

4x4 puts more strain on steering when turning sharp

Checked the bolts....they were all tight.

Put the front end up on jack stands and roll your tires while they are turned. That will help with troubleshooting ujoints. It they are bad they won't want to roll.

Put the front end up on jack stands and roll your tires while they are turned. That will help with troubleshooting ujoints. It they are bad they won't want to roll.

I did that too but I will try again...this thing is driving me crazy.

Is it a binding or more of a popping your hearing?

I have had someone else drive it while I watch it. It is like something is binding up and then there is a loud pop and its fine for a few seconds then it does it again. If you are on level ground it doesn't seem to do it but as soon as there is any kind of grade it starts and is pretty constant. It does it if you are going straight or if you are turning it does't matter. I can actually see the whole driveline jump when this happens... I am almost sure it is a ujoint I just cant figure out which one. I just dont want to replace the ones that are still good to find it. I am getting ready to go out and jack the front end up again and look some more. I pulled the actuator for the C.A.D. a little bit ago and it works fine.

I have had someone else drive it while I watch it. It is like something is binding up and then there is a loud pop and its fine for a few seconds then it does it again. If you are on level ground it doesn't seem to do it but as soon as there is any kind of grade it starts and is pretty constant. It does it if you are going straight or if you are turning it does't matter. I can actually see the whole driveline jump when this happens... I am almost sure it is a ujoint I just cant figure out which one. I just dont want to replace the ones that are still good to find it. I am getting ready to go out and jack the front end up again and look some more. I pulled the actuator for the C.A.D. a little bit ago and it works fine.

Kinda sounds like the transfer case after that description

Kinda sounds like the transfer case after that description

Well about a year and a half ago the back half of the casing cracked and I found a used half and put on it but it worked fine for over a year. No new cracks or anything. Maybe something that I put back together came loose.

Well about a year and a half ago the back half of the casing cracked and I found a used half and put on it but it worked fine for over a year. No new cracks or anything. Maybe something that I put back together came loose.

It's possible. Check I joints again and if all check out OK my bet is transfer case

Just jacked it up no binding on either axle shaft lock to lock. I took the front driveshaft out about a week ago and when in fourwheel drive I didnt have the issue. I know without the driveshaft there is no load on the front axle when in 4x4. I guess I was trying to eliminate the transfer case but without the load from the front axle I guess It may not happen.

I would take a look at the track bar. Have someone saw the wheel while you look.

Back