blown head gasket with studs

cummins5.9

i have a 2001 cummins with head studs and 100 horse schied injectors with head studs. i put my quadzilla adrenaline on and i blew my head gasket in about 2 hours... i didnt think that with studs and a stock turbo with the waste gate blocked off that it would blow a head gasket... this is the second head gasket that i have blown with this chip. i had it on my 2000 and blew it out too but it didnt have head studs.

anyone with any insite on why it would blow i would be happy to listen to advice

Your post is actually a how to manuel on how to blow a headgasket, you have it all. Drive pressure like apocolypse1812 said, no rings, stock turbo, the Quad box's timing, bigger injectors and stock compression.

Your cylinder pressure is something out of a science fiction novel. Have you looked into O Rings or Fire Rings?

High drive pressure, high boost pressure, lots of timing, lots of fuel. That's why your blowing it up. Also, make sure your not going wot until the thermostat has cycled open.

All I can say is I had 7x12's, quad adrenaline, ps64, stock headbolts, im pretty sure the headgasket had atleast 200k on it, and i never blew it. Then i put the stock charger on for alittle after i sold my ps64 and never had issues either... I dont think Orings or fire rings are alway necessary, just a dialed in setup. But on the other hand my **** was far from dialed in and held together just fine. I ALWAYS let it warm up before i let it see any big boost at all.

High drive pressure, high boost pressure, lots of timing, lots of fuel. That's why your blowing it up. Also, make sure your not going wot until the thermostat has cycled open.

90% of the people I know that have eaten head gaskets is from what you said. And still do it time and time again. Stock charger and alot of fuel and ignorant fool on the pedal will do it. So many people caught up in the ''blowin smoke '' drama and seem to be killin trucks!

hmmm... 66 (non gated) ,p pump, 7x12s, ect just put studs on.. no issues before or after. Why in god's name would you block off your wastegate?

X2 on everything said here. Make sure your truck is completly warmed up before you drive it hard at all. (thermostat has opened and closed at least two times.) and make sure you are torquing your studs down correctly. and you have flat surfaces to smash the headgasket down right. i wouldnt go oring it i would just fix the problem not put a bandaid on it!

doin a head gasket, you have to be almost like a surgeon. clean everything, make sure block is flat and head. and torque properly.

i've never blown a head gasket twice on anything i've owned.

i have thought about fire ringing the head but im not sure who does it around here and im not sure what it would cost...

i blocked off my waste gate cuz thats what a buddy done to my last truck... i knew it wasnt good on a stock charger but i kinda want a bigger charger anyway. I am kinda new at all this. what is meant by high drive pressure?? im border-line retarded when it comes to diesel stuff.. i just like to go fast lol. and why does a stock charger make a difference on why it would blow the head gasket? i dont understand a lot of this stuff and im trying to learn lol.. so dont make fun of me too bad

i blocked off my waste gate cuz thats what a buddy done to my last truck... i knew it wasnt good on a stock charger but i kinda want a bigger charger anyway. I am kinda new at all this. what is meant by high drive pressure?? im border-line retarded when it comes to diesel stuff.. i just like to go fast lol. and why does a stock charger make a difference on why it would blow the head gasket? i dont understand a lot of this stuff and im trying to learn lol.. so dont make fun of me too bad

high drive pressure is where the turbine on your turbo cant push exhaust out as fast as the other half of the turbo is pushing air in through the engine

Headstuds alone don't help a 24v headgasket. Many people put just headstuds in a CR and it holds about anything a single turbo can dish out but a 24v is a different head gasket. The CR has a multilayer gasket that is stronger than the paper gasket on a 24v. You should go ahead any oring it now and be real careful putting it back together. Block prep is very important. It is a pretty good job so do it right the first time.

Headstuds alone don't help a 24v headgasket. Many people put just headstuds in a CR and it holds about anything a single turbo can dish out but a 24v is a different head gasket. The CR has a multilayer gasket that is stronger than the paper gasket on a 24v. You should go ahead any oring it now and be real careful putting it back together. Block prep is very important. It is a pretty good job so do it right the first time.

i bought a .50mm thicker head gasket. How do i oring it? I guess i just dont understand what is done when you oring a head.. can you please kinda explain this to me so when i tell the guy that is putting the head gasket in that i want to oring it i dont look like a total retard lol. thanks for advice guys

Do some searching cummins5.9. All your questions can be answered and a vast amount of knowledge gained at the same time.

Jared, 80k miles with over 45psi of boost (almost 60 now) with water/meth and currently 24* of static timing and no problems with my stock headgasket with studs only (208k total miles). A little common sense goes a long ways. But you are right, it's not quite the same as putting studs in a CR.

Last edited:
i bought a .50mm thicker head gasket. How do i oring it? I guess i just dont understand what is done when you oring a head.. can you please kinda explain this to me so when i tell the guy that is putting the head gasket in that i want to oring it i dont look like a total retard lol. thanks for advice guys

You will have to take the head to a machine shop so they can machine a groove and press in a stainless wire. When the head is put back on that wire seals with the factory fire ring in the head gasket.

since ur going to have to pull the head now that you have blown ur gasket. i would have ur head decked at ur local machine shop and find a shop that will o-ring ur head. o-rings are much better for a street application and use a cummins genuine headv gasket they are well worth the money. i have about the same set up as u 125 bd injectors edge comp box 35/40 charger and my gate is blocked. just be easy with it let it warm up and cool down u dont have to drive it like you have something to prove.all ways retorque ur head studs at least once or twice

Last edited:
doin a head gasket, you have to be almost like a surgeon. clean everything, make sure block is flat and head. and torque properly.

i've never blown a head gasket twice on anything i've owned.

:clap:

90% of the people I know that have eaten head gaskets is from what you said. And still do it time and time again. Stock charger and alot of fuel and ignorant fool on the pedal will do it. So many people caught up in the ''blowin smoke '' drama and seem to be killin trucks!

:clap:, stock second gen turbos are poop

all ways retorque ur head studs at least once or twice

:thankyou2:

yea there junk but its better then my hy looking for a 62/71/14 then studs a cam and valve springs

Back