Blown HG pulled cyl head...now concerned..pics inside

Got Smoke?

Blew a HG on my puller last saturday because of excessive coolant pressure just got the cylinder head off today but now I'm concerned.

In the past I've always been able to see cross hatching in every cylinder whenever the head has come off. That's not the case in #3 this time. Going to post pics of all 6 for comparing. Also in #6 some of the cross hatching is more appearant than usual, should I be concerned about this? All input welcome as I don't want to put this thing back together if its headed for bigger problems, also I appologize for the pics but my blackberry is all I had.

cyl1.jpg

cyl2.jpg

#3 MY MAIN CONCERN
cyl3.jpg

cyl4.jpg

cyl5.jpg

cyl6.jpg

Also #6 does this look like the piston starting to melt around the bottom edge closest to the camera(where it looks silver)?
Piston6.jpg

doesnt look to good---- looks like there starting to score the walls

Sounds like its time to fully build it! :evil:evil

Not in the budget at this time as usual. :kick: And of course this happened on the first hook with the new 4.88's and locked front and rear that I have been saving for/picking up parts since last December. Hell I'm still pulling on a 2.5 turbo that meets my org's rules from LAST year.

what about a cheap re-hone and ring set?

More in line with the budget. Bet I could get the parts at a very good cost from Mumau, probably be a good idea to replace the main bearings if it came to that too wouldn't it?

Would broken rings do that?

I have a spare Dmax engine that I disassembled and found one broken ring and one score mark.....but not all over like yours. You have way more miles on it though.

An in frame rebuild wouldnt hurt any. By the looks of it I think a hone will clean it up. Not all that bad to do just a little time consuming. Looks like another house call is in order.... :Cheer:

Lynn

An in frame rebuild wouldnt hurt any. By the looks of it I think a hone will clean it up. Not all that bad to do just a little time consuming. Looks like another house call is in order.... :Cheer:

Lynn

Send me a parts list of what all you think we will need so I can call Jeff & get pricing. :bang

When do you wanna come look at it? Its just Kat & I all this week so if you wanted to come down on a weekend night and look it over...maybe start a little more disassembly...eat a nice home cooked meal and stay the night and drive home in the am that'd be ok? ;) :Cheer: LOL

I'd just hone it, new rings and new rod and main bearings.

Can you catch a finger nail on any of the scaring ? From the pics it looks as if you caught it in time and can just hone it in frame and do rings and bearings.

Can you catch a finger nail on any of the scaring ? From the pics it looks as if you caught it in time and can just hone it in frame and do rings and bearings.

I didn't try my fiance who helped me pull the cylinder head today says no she tried with hers.

#6 piston is worrying me

Well we will see now, as the motors coming out next weekend for full tear down.

Well that sucks Mark. Glad you caught it now though.

Yeah it does Andy, like I just told Kat I've always wanted to rebuild a Cummins...just not under these circumstances. :(

How heavy is a Cummins without the cylinder head? Just wondering if my engine stand will hold it.

i think dry weight is about 1100 pounds soo.........

Do you have a machine shop close that could taper cut the pistons to help with heat expansion

Back