Blown HG pulled cyl head...now concerned..pics inside

Do you have a machine shop close that could taper cut the pistons to help with heat expansion

I have no clue what your talking about, but yes I'm sure there is a capable machine shop close by. Fireman450 has one that fly cut his stock pistons for a very good price so I've already been thinking about getting them to do that in prep for a cam.

They start at the top of the piston and cut at a angle downward. The top of the piston will have a smaller o.d then the bottom of the piston. I am not sure of how much they take off but it might be something to look into.

Mine looked like that when I tore it down. It was running fine when I tore it down. I suspect you have gotten the pistons hot, swelled them, maybe snuffed it a time or two. Only thing I noticed on mine was that the cylinders idled at a lower temp. Once up on boost they were within 50 degrees.

Mine looked like that when I tore it down. It was running fine when I tore it down. I suspect you have gotten the pistons hot, swelled them, maybe snuffed it a time or two. Only thing I noticed on mine was that the cylinders idled at a lower temp. Once up on boost they were within 50 degrees.

In all the years I've been pulling Dan I have only snuffed once! I got irritated with myself for not trying 2nd hi last year at a pull that I thought I could have pulled it off at so I did a exhibition hook at the end of the night. Went 10ft farther than 3rd low, but snuffed out and blew a HG because of excessive (coolant) pressure from haveing to dump the clutch to keep the S4 lit. Before my S4 I ran a HTT 64/65/14 and it was still a daily driver...no snuffing that thing. LOL

I guess we will see how the rest looks upon tear down.

I wish I took picture of our motor out of the 2wd .your looks damm good to our's we have deep scaring and melted pistons.

dale

Hey Mark, how bout just sit out the rest of the season and come back full force next year with a fresh fully built engine. And no not just a s small re-ring job. GO all out, New turbo, 13mm P3000, better sticks, billet cam, tripple disk, and everything in between!!! :D

Hey Mark, how bout just sit out the rest of the season and come back full force next year with a fresh fully built engine. And no not just a s small re-ring job. GO all out, New turbo, 13mm P3000, better sticks, billet cam, tripple disk, and everything in between!!! :D

That's the plan Justin, but not necessarily with that parts list. ;)

But, I am done for the season.

I didn't try my fiance who helped me pull the cylinder head today says no she tried with hers.

Well we will see now, as the motors coming out next weekend for full tear down.

Yeah it does Andy, like I just told Kat I've always wanted to rebuild a Cummins...just not under these circumstances. :(

if you have always wanted to do a rebuild i got one tore down just havent put it back together got all the parts layin in the floor, lol.

a short block weighs 5-700lbs i think. i know my 12v shortblock is on an engine stand the long ways and its ok. id rather it be off the motor mount on the side but you should be fine.

Garrett

Back