Body Weights

gearhart73

I was wondering if there was any real difference in weight between the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gen body styles. If anyone actually weighed a reg cab and 8 ft bed from each gen to see? I've been tossing around the idea of a street/drag truck but I'm not sure if hanging a different body on a 2nd gen chassis would make any real difference in what the truck would weigh.

I am guessing that a 1st gen is lightest and they only get heavier. I can pretty much guarantee that on the cabs, the beds I am sure would follow suite.

Why would you want to get rid of that 4th gen body? It's the only one that looks better than a 2nd gen (<-- fact)

My reg cab long bed 4x4 1st gen LE stick transmission weighed in at 6200 with full tank, my 200 lbs, and random tools.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

There is a difference between say a 96 & an 01 both ext cabs

My old ecsb 2wd 01 weighed in at 6k empty with half a tank of fuel.

I figured the 1st gen was probably the lightest but it's my least favorite of the body styles. And I know there is a difference in the 2nd gen ex cab that have backdoor and the ones that don't. I want to build a reg cab 8 ft bed 4wd truck and those are my only real thoughts at this point. I don't have a truck yet but I'm look for options on what would be the lightest. I already have a motor so that doesn't matter to me what truck people think has the best one, just what they weigh

Duke1n had some good pictures several years ago of the speed holes he made in the front end to lose weight in his second gen.

Reg Cab/Short bed conversion is going to be the lightest chassis.

Look at what GAW out of FL did with 9" axles to loose even more weight.

Since everyone is bouncing their ideas I will strictly help you Justin.

4th gen and 3rds will be heavier than a second gen but there is fiberglass panels for every body style so far. There is even a few carbon fiber options here on this site once they are finished. Personally the 2nd gen will be lighter and they do have more options and are easier to find. A lot of aftermarket panels also.

Seeing a 4th gen drag would be sweet and I'm guessing it will be dinosaur power.

Oldskoolfab has some carbon fiber panels

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would suspect that the 4th gens sheet metal would be the lightest. The less metal you put into a truck the more money you make. :)

I was hoping to hear 4th gen to be honest. The front end and fenders on mine 2010 CC don't look like much and whatever I end up building will probably be bare bones anyway.

my 2ndgen, SCLB DRW weighed 5840lbs dry, with under an 1/8 of a tank, no tailgate, spare, or hitch, stripped interior minus the drivers seat and dash.

that was with 6 265/75/16's on the stock dually rims

my 2ndgen, SCLB DRW weighed 5840lbs dry, with under an 1/8 of a tank, no tailgate, spare, or hitch, stripped interior minus the drivers seat and dash.

that was with 6 265/75/16's on the stock dually rims

holy cow. That's crazy light. Maybe I should investigate why my truck is so heavy sometime.

And I think you should go with the 4th gen design! even if it is slightly heavier. It'd look a lot better and nobody has a truck quite like that yet (that I've seen).

Back