Borg s488 anyone?

mike diesel

Been doing alot of turbo research lately and am interested in turbos around the 88mm range.

Looked into turbonetics y2k thumper 88, garrett gt4718, and just recently came across this borg warner s488.

Was curious if anyone has any experience with the s488? 88mm comp, 96mm turbine with a 1.32 turbine housing. Seems like a solid charger with plenty of flow. Price is more than acceptable too. I emailed this guy and asked a few questions about the turbo.

Anyone used one or have one? I'd like more specs and pics on the compressor wheel.

Depending on compressor map of this 88mm borg wheel, this turbo seems like it would out perform the gt4718.

GT4718 has a 9.5mm diameter shaft vs 10mm s400 shaft. The GT also has a 93mm turbine vs the borgs 96mm turbine. Some people were saying the gt4718 turbine was almost too small to run that large of a compressor. Not to mention the garrett is $500 more even for the journal bearing unit.

Here is the link..

http://miketurboinc.com/products.php?product=S400SX4%252d-88mm-T6-Turbocharger-96%7B47%7D88-Turbine-Wheel

addtext_com_MDg1MDU1MzQ1MTM1__49627_zoom_zpse4xxrruo.jpeg

addtext_com_MDg1MzM2MzQ1NTcz__67413_zoom-1_zps96oudlb2.jpeg

addtext_com_MDg1NTQ1MzQ1Nzgy__16550_zoom_zpskhkbavsq.jpeg

The gt50 looks like a great option I may consider! I have not looked into them other than that thread.

But these 2 posts make me lean back to the borg unit simply for cost effectivness. I can deal with the minimal loss of the s400 over gt50.

Post #30

"According to the Thumper turbo thread:*
DRTurbo replied "the S400 turbine with 1.32A/R housing flows around 63-65lbs/min max.....or in other words will support about ~138lbs/min max om compressor side."

According to the information in the other thread, due to the smaller housings, this turbo's larger turbine flows less than the 1.32 88/96 combo?"

Post #33

"They made changes*. GT50 turbine wheel with 1.08A/R ~ flows the same as the 96mm 1.32 combo. Turbine wheel is now a 99.06/90.78.**All the A/R's from the GT47 will be available as well."

I guess I should have specified this turbo would be compounded over my s472/87/1.0, the s472 is also gated with a precision 46mm gate.

That is an old TV compressor with a small 0.63AR cover, not anywhere close to ideal. We have an 88mm wheel that is 50 grams lighter than the cast 6-blade Garrett wheel, but it is still quite a bit heavier than the 85mm wheel we use.

That is an old TV compressor with a small 0.63AR cover, not anywhere close to ideal. We have an 88mm wheel that is 50 grams lighter than the cast 6-blade Garrett wheel, but it is still quite a bit heavier than the 85mm wheel we use.

That is why i wanted more info on the wheel. I personally have not seen one before. Good info!

We had an s400 88/92/1.10 T4 with billet 6 blade wheel. Was not enough turbine to drive the compressor hard enough. Never once surged but we didn't habe enough stall for it and knew it wasn't idea so we stepped down quite a bit in compressor size and were much happier with the results.

We had an s400 88/92/1.10 T4 with billet 6 blade wheel. Was not enough turbine to drive the compressor hard enough. Never once surged but we didn't habe enough stall for it and knew it wasn't idea so we stepped down quite a bit in compressor size and were much happier with the results.

I wouldn't be running it as a single. Sounds like that's what you were attempting?

I wouldn't be running it as a single. Sounds like that's what you were attempting?

Yes but regardless the concept is the same, the turbine wheel still has to drive the compressor wheel and a 92 or 96 wheel just doesn't have enough leverage on the 88mm compressor wheel. If you look at OEM Borg Warner stuff in an 88mm compressor wheel, they are all in an s500 frame and with the smallest turbine option being around 108-111

Yes but regardless the concept is the same, the turbine wheel still has to drive the compressor wheel and a 92 or 96 wheel just doesn't have enough leverage on the 88mm compressor wheel.

That isn't necessarily true, and I have yet to see a leverage map for a turbine wheel.

That isn't necessarily true, and I have yet to see a leverage map for a turbine wheel.

Leverage is always just a word that my mind uses to explain it to myself. You know a lot more about turbochargers then I ever will, just my thoughts on it is all.

I can see the 82mm exducer BW turbine not being sufficient for an 88mm compressor, but the GT4718 with an 84mm exducer has proven itself for a long time. There is no reason the 88mm exducer BW turbine would not be sufficient as long as the compressor wheel is 400 grams or less.

There is no reason the 88mm exducer BW turbine would not be sufficient as long as the compressor wheel is 400 grams or less.
weight has nothing to do with it, what goes in must get out, that's the problem. I don't understand people stuffing oversized compressor wheels to their chargers doing nothing to turbine side, they never work. Stay in factory specs, they know what compressor works with their turbines.

Weight is a factor, I have quite a bit of experience with this. I would agree that turbine flow plays a larger role, but not every application has the same requirements.

Borg has recently released a looser a/r for the 88/96 turbine wheel size as well

Weight is a factor, I have quite a bit of experience with this.

Maybe to initial spoolup but max boost and flow comes from turbine torque. Exhaust backpressure determines how well engine is breathing and you need well breathing engine to make power. Those "hybrid" turbos make lot of backpressure because big compressor spins slower than small turbine needs to be spinned to breath well and make power to turn compressor.

Borg has recently released a looser a/r for the 88/96 turbine wheel size as well
Many have found out that big turbine wheel and small housing is better for greater overall power and spoolup than small turbine and big housing.

Back