Borg Warner AirWerks S400x charger testing starting:

McRat

This is a charger that is a direct bolt in replacement for a GT42/45, and it does bolt up as advertised. So far, streetability is very good for a big charger. It is a 2.98 inducer, 5" intake, and T4 mount. Compressor wheel dias and turbine wheel dias are very close to GT4202 numbers. It is journal bearing and oil cooled and ungated. The PPE Dmax install kit for the GT42 is required for the install, and you will need to lose your EGR.

The compressor wheel is about 25% taller than the GT42 so the map appears to be wider going by seat of the pants. Where the GT42 gomes on with a rush, this comes on more gently. Slight lag is noticeable over the GT4202R most likely due to the journal bearing S400 vs the ball bearing GT. Freeway cruising at 80 mph is about 700-800 deg and 1 PSIG boost and 1.5 PSIG drive pressure. No tow testing yet, but it feels like a 6000lb trailer should be fine.

Track testing should be Friday (our normal track is closed for good). Power output appears to be in the OHSHIITE range so it's hard to tell without a dragstrip.

To the moderators, this is in the Drag section since it applies to all three trucks and it is a drag oriented charger. And there is almost zero traffic in GM Performance here. I do not sell these nor am I sponsored by Borg Warner (or anyone else). This is purely informational.

Test truck is a 2005 LLY 4x4 Duramax (6280lb) with:

PPE Dual Fueler
LLY engine with stock injectors and cam, LLY pistons have lips removed and ceramic coated by SoCalDiesel, rods are Crower, head studs ARP. This is my backup engine since my "good" engine is waiting parts.
4" exhaust
Edelbrock 1792
Allison transmission built by Mike L with Suncoast parts and ATS copilot.

Last edited:
What are the inducer/exducer of both wheels? I know you had to take it apart and look at it before you put it on.

i just pit a S400SX4 on for a bottom turbo. SPS66top with S400SX4 is not bad for the street. the 1 i have is 74mm comp,74mm turbine,and 1.10A/R. still doing more testing. this set up spools fast on the street and clears the smoke fast if i turn down my pump.

Well, testing was cut short due to gremlins, but I did get one clean pass. Same tuning, weight, and DA within reason at same track yielded:

3 mph faster than HTT Promax (S300G)
2 mph slower than GT4202R

And appears to fit in the middle as far as street manners goes.

I will put a bigger compressor on it and try again.

Boost peaked at 56PSIG at 3000RPM, and faded to 50PSIG by 3400RPM. Drive pressure logging choked. EGT's maxed at 1700 through the traps.

I'm thinking this would be a good max-effort single charger for a Dodge 5.9 running roughly 650rwhp if they could not light a GT42. Just guesswork though.

I have a simular charger but with a much larger exducer and I have a t3 right now. plan to maby change manifolds and step up to a t4 and see if that helps it a little bit. I can drive it on the street just fine but I would say towing is out of the question. If I can get some more specific tuning I think it would do much better.

Back