BOV

Unless you plan on running nitrous, which I will someday:evil

Ok, I noticed a lot of people feel that way. Is there any other way to eliminate turbo bark, besides letting of the pedal slowly?

I was wondering the same thing, especially if running a large single on a truck with a manual transmission....

No need for a bov when you have a wastegate..

Two different functions.

I've been looking into one. It seems they are all built for the gassers that have vacuum. I'd like to find one that operates similar to a wastegate, plumb drive pressure in the top, let boost pressure act against the valve from the bottom, run something like a 5-10 psi spring to keep it shut. Only catch that the diaphragm that the drive acts against needs to be close to the same size as the drive pressure. Normal conditions, boost won't exceed drive pressure by more than a couple psi that the spring will keep it closed. Let off the throttle, drive pressure dissipates and the boost opens up the valve from the bottom.

Blow off valve. Drive pressure drops, boost will open up the valve in the intake tract and dump the pressure, keep the turbos from stalling and barking.

take a look at BD, they have one, but it is a pain in the a$$ to get working correctly

I'm in the testing phase for the turbo smart bov. I will let you know as soon as I get some data. Majestic turbo in Waco is one of their main distributors.

+ 1 for the Turbo Smart set up, hopefully they do someday get it going. Ever since Steve Irwin died they slacked off.

the bd kit uses a tial valve.

they are difficult to set up nice, lots of driving around with a srewdriver to fine tune, and yes they are electronically controlled making them very expensive, i think the price of the kit is more like $800 now

Anyone know where to get a small 3/2 pilot operated pneumatic valves? Something like this? Needs an adjustable spring return.

Attachments

• BOV.jpg
    BOV.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 0
My buddy had one on his 6.0 it was a pain at first but afterwards it runs fine sure turns heads when he lets off. I am looking into one cause it's easy to air lock a truck with twins.

I use two small BOV for safety on my compound setup. They adjust from 50psi to 175psi. I wouldn't use them to control boost, that is what wastegates are for. I got them at grainger for $20 to 30$ each.

Are you talking about those small brass poppet valves? They are just a pressure relief valve. Blow off valves release the air when the throttle plate slams shut on a gasser and gives the BOV a vacuum signal.

TurboByGarrett.com - Catalog

How did you use pop off valves as BOV's? I thought they just opened like a wastegate. Either way, I've heard bad things about them.

I want to run an actual BOV if I can get a little more info on them.

Back