boxing frame ?s

tarter6bt

broke ass
Im tossing around the idea of boxing my 94 dodge. For those that have done it did you....

1. Measure the frame width and weld plate that was cut to measurments on? Or did you measure between the lips on the frame and butt weld it together?

2. What thickness of material did you use?

3. Did you remove the cross member that holds the tank in place and the one the spare tire goes up against?

4. If yes to question 3. What did you replace the cross members with?
Square/round tubing and thickness? ??

Also if you removed cross members how many did you put back in?

Pics are welcome

I was hoping someone who had done this would chime in.

I have never done this on a full frame but just to the front end of a truck. We used 1/4'' material and just lapped it over the area we were covering and welded it on. There were also parts being mounted and welded (shock hoops that support the weight of the truck) to it so that's why we chose 1/4''.

I'm not sure what the use of your truck is for but I would think 10ga (.125'') would be fine, or 3/16''. I wouldn't go any above 3/16' though, just personal preference... If I was to cut a piece to weld in I would take a measurement on the inside of the "C" of the frame, add the thickness of the frame material and make that your height. This way when you fit the piece up that you cut you have half the material thickness of the top of the frame showing and same at the bottom. This will make it much easier to weld as well and a stronger bond I would think.

Another thing you could do; use 10ga material and on long runs make a slight break from one opposite corner to the other. That slight brake will really help stiffen up the material over a long span. But if you do this be sure to allow for the brake when you make the cut.

Hope all that makes sense.

Edit: I just read over that and it could come across like I'm telling you how to fabricate, which I'm not. Just throwing ideas around.

Last edited:
Just wondering whats your reason for wanting to box the frame?

The 2nd gens have a weak area in the area of the frame where the cab meets the bed. Seen a couple pulling trucks torque enough to fold the frame rails almost sideways to the point the bed is touching at the bottom of the cab with a 8 inch gap at the top. Of course ladder/traction bar attachment methods and location play a big part in that.

The 2nd gens have a weak area in the area of the frame where the cab meets the bed. Seen a couple pulling trucks torque enough to fold the frame rails almost sideways to the point the bed is touching at the bottom of the cab with a 8 inch gap at the top. Of course ladder/traction bar attachment methods and location play a big part in that.

This.

Take cardboard and trace the section you want to box onto it and cut it out as a template. I would just use 1/8th to keep some weight down.

Back