Brake Question

DieselDiva

Pure Diesel Power
My truck decided to do some weird stuff today, and I need some input.

I went outside this morning and looked at my truck and everything was fine. I stepped outside this afternoon and noticed all 3 brake lights were on. (Both tails and the third light on the cab) It hadn't been driven since last night and nothing seemed to be wrong then.

I messed with the brake pedal and it didn't make any difference. Then I noticed that my trailer brake controller was lit up even when I didn't have my foot on the brake. It was set at 6 on the dial, but was reading at 13, which is the highest setting. It has never lit up unless the brake was pressed before. When I wiggled the wires leading into the controller, the numbers on the display changed and the tail lights got slightly brighter. I followed the wires to the harness and unplugged it, but the tail lights stayed on. I did drive it a little bit, and the brakes don't seem to be dragging or doing anything out of the ordinary. It seems to just be something with the lights.

I disconnected the batteries so I don't kill them. Any ideas what is causing this?

It sounds like your stoplight switch has gone bad if you look under the dash it will be located by the brake pedal . The pedal should push against the switch at rest. I dont think that they are to expensive. Rich

Thanks, I'll check it out. Do they just go bad out of the blue like that?

Yes, but sometimes the manufacturer uses a plastic plug where the pedal contacts the switch this piece of plastic cracks and pops out and the lights stay on as if the switch goes bad. Rich

The stoplight switch is adjustable. The plunger that contacts the brake pedal will pull out in roughly 1/8 increments and click when it does. Push the brake pedal down so its away from the switch, take a needle nose pliers and pull the plunger out 2 or 3 clicks. Slowly release the brake pedal and the plunger will reset itself where it needs to be. I just had to reset mine the other day after I replaced the power booster with a hydroboost unit.

I've adjusted the switch before, but we didn't mess with the brakes at all so I don't see how it would be out of adjustment..

Back