Brakes Leaking Fluid....What is it??

stroke of luck

That's what she said...
I got under my truck and noticed that both of my rear calipers are leaking/dripping fluid. it's flung all over the underside of the truck but it's definitely coming from the calipers. the master cylinder resevoir is still full but i've noticed that it's taking a little longer and needs a little more pressure to stop. I'm on a road trip right now so i've got to figure out what it is. Any ideas and/or should I take it into a brake shop now?? could i limp it back to dallas from tulsa or does it sound like something critical? also, i had to make a couple of hard stops yesterday if that might have anything to do with it. thanks!

if the master cylinder isnt low at all then its probably not brake fluid most likely then its gear oil coming out from the axle seals. might wanna check your rear end fluid before it locks up

I had the main brake hose bust on mine about 8 monthes into ownership from "hitting the brakes too hard with a trailer on it," atleast that's what the tech told me lol

I got under my truck and noticed that both of my rear calipers are leaking/dripping fluid. it's flung all over the underside of the truck but it's definitely coming from the calipers. the master cylinder resevoir is still full but i've noticed that it's taking a little longer and needs a little more pressure to stop. I'm on a road trip right now so i've got to figure out what it is. Any ideas and/or should I take it into a brake shop now?? could i limp it back to dallas from tulsa or does it sound like something critical? also, i had to make a couple of hard stops yesterday if that might have anything to do with it. thanks!
Your pistons are leaking if your sure its brake fluid. Time for a brake job.

Previous experience with an '06 f-350 (SITE TECH's old jalopy), check your differential!! He had wheel seals gone...

ok....found out both rear axle seals are shot. it was braking differently because the rotors were soaked with gear oil. i'm going to tackle the job myself but if anyone has some experience doing this, any help would be great.:thankyou2:

not as bad as it seems. pretty strait forward job. just be sure to follow the torque specs on the bearings on re-assembly..

The dealer will ask you what axle. 10.5 And a dually has an 11.75 rear. You need a special socket to remove the axle nuts. When you put it back together, Use a torque wrench. Torque the nut to 75 ft lbs. Then back it off 3 clicks. Spin the hub while you are tightening it.

Back