Brakes

Noreaster

Official beer tester
I knew pads & rotors were going to be needed very soon & was planning on doing them when I got back from my last fishing trip. Well they decided to go on me the day before I left, started to hear grinding on my way to the boat & right before I got there I started losing pedal pressure. The right rear rotor split in half & might have chewed up the caliper pistons, good bit of fluid was leaking out. I will post a pic when I pull them.
I ordered Powerslot rotors & Hawk LTS pads yesterday & going out to check the caliper in a few minutes.

Question I have is bleeding the system, does the old fashioned way work or do I need to get one of those pressure/vacuum cans to do it?
Also what should I use for fluid?

Dooh man what rough luck. I'm not sure about the maintenance of this ..but a very good question.

Heres the rotor pics, man I never seen one do that & it still had pad on both sides. I guess the rotor just failed.
scalloping 021.jpg

scalloping 022.jpg

Well theres not a big price difference between stealership & aftermarket, Ill take aftermarket any day.

my driver's side rotor did that as well. On mine, the caliper piston ended up puching completely out IIRC and thereby lost the fluid so I essentially lost my brakes. :eek:

What are these rotors you speak of? I just got some from Advanced Auto Parts but next go around, I wouldn't mind going with something else if they weather better than these. I don't like all that rust and stuff.

C-ya

I went with Powerslots(non-cyroed), Hawk LTS pads, Russel SS brake lines
& 5.1 fluid Ill report back once I finish it(hopefully tonight)

Its all together now but one of the bleeders was alittle seized & I kinda got anxious with a 1/2" drive SNAP! MothaFer
New bleeders in the morning, hopefully I can get that busted one out.

Did what I could, snapped an easy out, gave up on it & bought another caliper. Everything is done now but I can't get the sponginess out of the pedal, bleed it so many times I lost track & not getting anymore air out of it. So Im going to bring it to my buddies shop to powerbleed it & see if he can think of anything.

Any suggestions or tips would be gladly appreciated.

Back