Bread truck Cummins

Lamont_24

I had a deal with a slightly modded ve pump but that deal fell through, so I found an engine out of a bread truck. Its a 96 low mileage motor for 1800 minus turbo. My question is; are the pumps the same as Chrysler cummins? The owner of the engine said it would most likely be a easier to swap into my 95 F350. I did some searching around the interweb and couldn't find much about a bread truck 6bt. Im sure someone on here has to know something about them. Ive also got a few other questions

I would imagine the pump would be similar to what you would find on a Cummins in a Dodge. This is in an on-highway vehicle. If it was an industrial engine driving a pump (water, etc.) or generator, then the pumps could possibly vary having a constant speed governor in those applications.

I would look at the Cummins parts list (CPL) number and compare it to a power-plant in a pick-up of the same year.

Some of those bread trucks have different adapter plates for the transmission. It is possible (I wouldn't hold my breath though) that you have an adapter plate that will mount to a ford tranny. Might have one for a chevy tranny, either way if it won't work for you there is a market out there for them. The P-pump should be very close to the dodge pumps but it might have a different throttle bracket. there may be other differences like water inlets/outlets, fan location, exhaust manifold, alternator brackets and air conditioning compressor mounts. That could cause you problems. But there are enough parts out there that you should be able to get something that will work.

1800 seems to be a fair price with low miles. if you can hear it run check oil pressure and such.

Yeah I have a friend of mine checking it out for me back home right now so I'll let you guys know what he says. I'm running a nv4500 behind it so adapter plate won't be a problem. Im sure I'll be able to fab up stuff for the accessories. He said the power steering pumps are different on bread trucks and they are actually better, is that correct?

I guess it does have the industrial pump, but he said it has bigger injector lines or the delivery valves are bigger I think he said. I'm guessing since it was a highway use vehicle the governor shouldn't be like a generator or water pump industrial motor right?

I'm guessing it ran all day everyday! I'm running out of options though. The other ones he has are high mileage dodge motors. I need a motor ASAP and there's nothing around me that someone is asking too much and the rest are ve pumps

Get that one or the others and a rebuild kit from Jeff ( Snedge) on here isn't very much and just freshen the motor up.

Yeah I have a friend of mine checking it out for me back home right now so I'll let you guys know what he says. I'm running a nv4500 behind it so adapter plate won't be a problem. Im sure I'll be able to fab up stuff for the accessories. He said the power steering pumps are different on bread trucks and they are actually better, is that correct?

So the NV4500 has the cummins adapter plate? What I was saying is that most bread trucks have ford or chevy transmission adapter plates.

You might be better off with the high mile dodge motor and a rebuild kit. But you really won't know wich is better till you start putting the cummins in the ford. Good luck with the conversion.

Thanks! I'm going with a higher mileage one and I'm going to run a zf5 now. The reasoning for that is that I can use my factory tcase and driveshafts. If I get lucky the engine might sit far enough back that it will sit in the factory e4od spot haha

Back