Broke Piston Ring

tinkertoy

I broke the second ring twice on a new set of mahle pistons. First one broke because i barley tough the table with it ( rubbing up agaist it ). The second one broke when we was tighting the ring squesser up. Has anyone broke a new ring on a new piston just tighting it up?

What kind of ring compressor are you using? If the compressor is too weak it breaks them.

Dont know the proper name of it had it a long time. It just a piece of sheet metel that is over laped in a cicrle and u open it up with a quarter inch rachet to put it around the piston and tighten it down with the rachet. Never had a problem with it before. Used it on some diesel tractors and just overhauled a jeep with no problems.

Called the company that i got the pistons and rings from and they told me to send the broke ring in and they would send it off to have it checked. Just never seen a ring that fragel.

The ones that use two or three bands around them aren't strong enough, buddy broke a few rings trying to use it. The new one has four.

The one i got has 2 banns. We've used it on a few 504 case pistons and IH and gas pistons and never had a problem with it. Ill get one that has four and 2 sets of ring and try that.
Thanks

Back