Broken dash.

nilsson

Is it common taht the Dash is broken on 2nd gen Cummins? Mine is full of cracks. I think all singel parts in the dash have cracks. The truck is from Florida, is it the sun? Or is it the sun in combinations with cold winters here i Sweden? But i think most crack was befor a took it to Sweden. Just poor quality?
Is it possible to buy a new one (complete) used, or are all that bad? Is it better plastic on newer trucks( i have a 1997 12v), that i can use?
I fell little unhappy, cos i like the rest of the truck, but the dash sucks (and i seen it everytime i drive :frown:)
Is new one very expensive, or aftermarket?

Thanks

It is rather common on the 2nd gen trucks, most all of them do it. Ebay has replacement dashes along with I believe Genos garage.com?

It is rather common on the 2nd gen trucks, most all of them do it. Ebay has replacement dashes along with I believe Genos garage.com?

I use Geno's personally. Mine had a small crack so I opted to go with the dash cover.

Thanks.
But this cover, is just the upper part or?
Is it good quality? Fit easy, without modification?

anyone had good luck with the replacement from genos? anyone had to paint theirs to match?

If yours is a 94-97 with gray interior, LMC truck makes a replacement dash top that already comes gray instead of black. Or Genos has a carpet dash cover that is an inexpensive fix for the time being

***I went and checked and LMC also sells 98-02 Dash pads that are color matched.

Last edited:
I have a complete grey dash, minus wiring and duct work from a 96 I parted out. It is crated up and ready to ship from Iowa. $125 plus shipping.

I had a cracked dash in my old 96

I replaced it with a full tan interior from a Mexican dodge 2500 with a gas motor.. was a perfect fit as one could imagine, and I got the whole thing, bezel, radio, dash, EVERYTHING including glove box for 75 bucks... :D

the only problem I had was removing the Old VIN tag, from it, the rivets looked like they would break the plastic on the dash, so I didn't mess with it. No issues with me here in TX, because I had proof the truck was mine, and the original VIN tag that came with it, matching the one on the door, But when I sold the truck, I explained to the new owner what happened, because apparently they gave him static over titiling the truck in florida... go figure...

im not sure if the new dashes from GENOs have a place to tack the VIN tag on, but it might be something to look into, My 95 was a one original owner truck, and from the interior, looks like a brand new truck (belonged to a 75 year old man who owned a 30 acre farm), was obviously garage kept too, so ive no need for a new dash.. but these were my two cents from what it was worth to replace the dash and assembly...

I'm sure it is from the heat as opposed to the cold. I have two '98's and two '96's that are all Canadian trucks, and none of them had cracked dashes. I would've put them up for the southern guys who have to deal with this, but shipping for them is a pain.

Back