Broken piece on head...new head or convert to side draft?

waldershrek

Broke one of the tabs on the head that the stock intake bolts to. I'm not aware of any competent shops in my area (30 minutes south of Syracuse) that could weld this cast piece back. I don't even now if I'm wild about that idea anyway.....So my only option I thought was a new head. In speaking with Haisley Machine this afternoon they seemed to think that switching over to a side draft intake would be cheaper for me since you cut that cast part off the head anyway.

The truck is a basically stock 03 driver with the occasional long haul towing a camper. What do you guys think, new head or convert to side draft? Or are you aware of any competent machine shops in the CNY area that could handle repairing it?

I would be pretty scared of repairing that because if it breaks off it only had one place to go and your piston won't be happy. You are lucky you caught it before you ran it. I lost an engine to the same thing.

I would be pretty scared of repairing that because if it breaks off it only had one place to go and your piston won't be happy. You are lucky you caught it before you ran it. I lost an engine to the same thing.

Yeah luckily the truck wasn't running. Boost bolt broke off and then that tab broke off getting the broken boost bolt out. That's my dear with welding it, if it breaks again it's gonna be while the truck is running.

I would go back with a stock head. I have done builds with side drafts. Most of them require some custom work mostly for the fact of not having all the factory bolt bosses. Main issue I've ran into is on the fuel canister/return system. Also have seen some that don't have all the fuel line clamping points in the top of the side draft. You can always make it work, but for a stock truck I'd want everything in the stock location.

I'm waiting on a call back from D&W diesel in Auburn with a price quote on a reman stock head. Looking online price is $1600ish for a stock reman. Called Haisley this morning but he didn't have any.

I was thinking now would be the time do some 50 HPish sticks....

Waldershrek,
I have the stock head from my 05, had 18,000 on it when
I changed heads. I live in Webster NY if you would like to see it.
Complete head minus rockers. $500.

Waldershrek,
I have the stock head from my 05, had 18,000 on it when
I changed heads. I live in Webster NY if you would like to see it.
Complete head minus rockers. $500.

I'm some what new to CR, are they exactly the same?

You got any pics you can send me so I can take a general look at it?

Can I just swap over my springs and stuff with no issues or should I be looking at new parts?

Last edited:
Back