Bronze HX35

Timbeaux

Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Buddy of mine is seeing higher than normal EGT's (+200) on his 02 5 spd 3500 4x4. (intake, exhaust, 275's) At 70mph withthe motor a hair under 2k he is at 900 on flat ground while I am at 700. The cool side of his turbo has taken on a bronze sheen (he used to have a comp, ECM and pull 20k) Could the bronzing indicate damage to the turbo and be the reason for the increase in EGT?

Thats a good question Tim.

What is he running at those speeds as far as boost goes compaired to yours and compaired to what it ran say before he noticed there may be a problem?

Boost leaks, loose clamps, faulty EGT gauge or thermocouple.

dan

No boost leaks. as far as we can tell. and he has an hx12 compared to my hy9. Is there any way to test a thermocouple?

Pull the hose off and peek in the inducer. Whats the shaft play like? Has the compressor contacted the housing a few times? Excessive oil buildup inside?

My bro just got his replaced under warranty. He had all the above. Plus crappy spool and low boost. Stock truck at the time.

Jff24Gordn said:
Nobody mentioned it yet, but the bronze color is the clear coat buring off.

HA!!

What he said, I havent had a stock turbo for so long I completly forgot the put a clear on those things.

Good catch.

dan

Back