Budget 6.70 drag truck build!!

Truck currently doesn’t have a afc. It was completely gutted when I got it. Was hoping a spool jet would help as far as staging and up top it doesn’t run to Smokey once it’s making boost. But I didn’t have nitrious in the truck yet so I don’t really know. I know a complete afc would make the truck run much better overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe PDD sells replacement AFC foots now

He means the pinion angle in degrees. I went to negative 3* pinion angle with mine. It gives "caltracs" more leverage to work harder.

As in the pinion angle should be slightly pointing downward while sitting on the suspension at full weight. I went from 0 to -3, made a pretty big difference. Measured with a magnetic angle finder on the pinion. Just cut your axle pads loose and role it down.

Yea I know that’s what he was talking about. He asked if it was a solid brake line ran to the axle. I haven’t checked pinion angle since the leafs have been put back on the truck. I’ll check it tonight. Hopefully gonna get bedsides hung back on and truck on a 4 point scale tonight.

I believe PDD sells replacement AFC foots now

Yes they do. When I originally built the truck I was looking for one and was having toruble finding even a used one. I do plan to put a afc assembly back into the truck. Right now. Just driving I can keep it smoke free unless I really lay into it. But I would be better off all around with a functioning afc back on.

There are countless types of welding certifications out there. I'd look for someone with experience doing the specific kind of welding you need. For example stick welding farm equipment is a whole different ball game than tig welding thin chromoly tube in restricted spaces.

Always weld up the axle tubes.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 0
The past few days I’ve been reading a lot about caltracs etc and also with some help from jasonc, I’ve discovered just about everything I had set completely wrong. Pinion angle was 4* have now gotten it down to -2. Also gonna take the coil springs off of the shocks because the way it is now it only compresses about 1.5inches. Only leaving me 1.5inches for extension and from what I’ve read with cal tracs the more extension the better. So needless to say there was a lot of problems. I’ve sorted all them out aswel as re did some wiring and got the bed mounted. Also ended up welding the diff up. Hopefully making some test passes tonight or tomorrow. Will post the results!

Well more bad news. Made two passes first went 1-2 then on 2-3 I hit neutral. Only a 10.1 that pass. Next pass was 8.6 at 89 I don’t have lockup so that’s killing me. But bad news time. I went to make a 3rd pass trying to get more seat time and work on launching cause the best 60ft so far is a 2.2 which is horrible. But anyways after the second pass I drove the truck back to the pits killed it let it sit for an hour or so. Drove back perfectly normal block temp was 205* oil was 210 but after sitting for an hour to cool went to start back and I’ve lost all compression. Motor just free turns basiclly. Turned it over by a 6in stubby ratchet. So I’m not really sure

Well more bad news. Made two passes first went 1-2 then on 2-3 I hit neutral. Only a 10.1 that pass. Next pass was 8.6 at 89 I don’t have lockup so that’s killing me. But bad news time. I went to make a 3rd pass trying to get more seat time and work on launching cause the best 60ft so far is a 2.2 which is horrible. But anyways after the second pass I drove the truck back to the pits killed it let it sit for an hour or so. Drove back perfectly normal block temp was 205* oil was 210 but after sitting for an hour to cool went to start back and I’ve lost all compression. Motor just free turns basiclly. Turned it over by a 6in stubby ratchet. So I’m not really sure

Mine did the same thing when I lost an oil squirter/scorched a piston. I know that doesn't make any damn sense, but it sure sounds like same exact symptoms I had. I actually had my throttle linkage stick and had to shut it down at 3/4 throttle. When I tried to start back up engine just free spun, no compression.

Mine did the same thing when I lost an oil squirter/scorched a piston. I know that doesn't make any damn sense, but it sure sounds like same exact symptoms I had. I actually had my throttle linkage stick and had to shut it down at 3/4 throttle. When I tried to start back up engine just free spun, no compression.

Hmm. That’s odd. I was thinking I might of walked the cam gear off or something. Gonna rear it apart tonight. We will see

Hmm. That’s odd. I was thinking I might of walked the cam gear off or something. Gonna rear it apart tonight. We will see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
The cam gear will hit your timing cover before it will walk all the way off the cam. I have pushed mine into the timing cover more than once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
The cam gear will hit your timing cover before it will walk all the way off the cam. I have pushed mine into the timing cover more than once.

Wasn’t the cam gear. However talking to a few people I’m starting to think I burnt the rings up. Thinking I got them so hot they shrunk on cool off. The more I’ve talked the way I was checking temps it was probably every bit of 300* or higher will know tonight. Gonna try to have he motor back together by this next weekend!

Imagine how hot the cylinder got around the exhaust valve area. I didn't like the no water plan man.

Stay at it, imagine where the truck will be this time next yr.

Since you ran it hard without water I'm betting you scuffed pistons and possibly expanded your rings enough to break ring lands on Pistons.

Is this engine stock with stock clearances?

No it was not. Had way over clearnaces on veryhtinf. Top ring was 32 don’t exactly remember ptw but it was a decent bit over stock it was built to be sprayed and take it.

Engine will be torn apart tonight. It’s already down to the head to be pulled. Depending on whatever the issue is I’m gonna try to ovenight the parts and have it ready for this weekend. Will also be running water from now on.

Mahle low compression pistons with steel ring lands. Truck was running perfectly fine when I shut it off. I’ll have an answer tomgiht hopefully

Back