Budget triples question

4WheelinFreak

Metal Butcher
Hey guys I'm playing around with a cheap triples setup on my chevy with a 97 cummins 12v and from the research ive done I was wondering if I could use a hx40 as the manifold charger and 2 hx35s as the atmospheric. I have all 3 laying around but my only hiccup is the 40 is a 16cm exhaust and the 35s are the standard 12cm exhaust and I don't know how that would affect performance or spool up. And how should I go about wastgateing this. Any help is appreciated
Thanks, john

Yeah an HT3B would be in the same range as a pair of hx-35's. The HX-40/HT3B combo was the old school street/strip twins.

For a budget set of triples with turbo's you already have I am sure it will work just fine. As far as wastegate's I would do an external gate from the manifold to the hot pipe before it splits to the hx-35's, and then use the hx'35's to control overall boost if that is an issue (I doubt it will be unless you are trying to push way too much fuel through this setup).

I was just going to go with some 5x14s from lee, I have 5x12s now and 024 dvs, I don't plan on going past 80 psi with it. So the internal gate on the 40 won't keep enough control over the system

I would think that a gated 16cm housing word flow enough to feed a pair of 35's.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the Highjack but just a question. On my 2007 5.9 what would be a good 2nd turbo for the stock one ? I have been looking for numbers on the turbo but I can't seem to find them in a "visible" spot !

NO! Bad Newb! Start your own thread.

GTFO.png

Last edited:
Another thought crossed my mind, should I run a boost gauge for each atmospheric charger or just one for them combined, and yes I will have a gauge for the total psi for the whole system

Post some pics of the build as I am curious about how this would be on a daily driver/weekend racer application as we have similar engine fueling combos.

I'll do my best to try and figure out how to post pics on here and it might take a little longer to do, I just found out I'm getting sent to davenport till further notice for work so it'll only be a few days on the weekends I can work on this now

Im planning on setting up the 35 wastegates with shop air and fine tuning them on the truck, does anyone have a fuzzy idea what psi I should put them at to open. I know those turbos are only efficient to 35psi but I don't know where I should set them at for a rough starting point

Set the secondary to open between 20-30 Psi and the primaries gate will control overall boost, for instance, 60 psi total boost or whatever you want.
Im planning on setting up the 35 wastegates with shop air and fine tuning them on the truck, does anyone have a fuzzy idea what psi I should put them at to open. I know those turbos are only efficient to 35psi but I don't know where I should set them at for a rough starting point

2012-08-24 22.02.17.jpgthis is about as far as i got this weekend, couple design flaws but nothing that cant be fixed. im gonna try to get the hot pipe all mocked up tonight if i can get someone to come give me a hand holding parts lol

Alright a little update, i got this done earlier this week but i cant post pictures from my phone. I just have to get some T flanges and i can start on the charge pipe. Is 3 1/2" tube to big for the charge pipe on triples?

Attachments

• y pipe.jpg
    y pipe.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 0
Back