Build - 9 second drag truck #racegreen

Or buy the parts from Bell and build my own and never have to worry about compromises, mistakes, or complete incompetence. I'm going through a period where I don't trust anyone to do what they say they will. The amount of work I've recently paid for (at work for outside vendors) only to have to pay one of my guys to fix it correctly is incredible.

Once I have the turbos mounted where I want them I'll be able to spec out whatever coolers I want. The 150psi frozen boost coolers would work fine for my low hp after cooler application (100psi) and their regular should work fine for my interstage. I've only got 8 months to get the entire truck finished...

The cores on the Chinese units are questionable. They do cool decently though. I'm thinking about trying an overseas a/a unit actually. I haven't seen a ton of failures.

I really enjoy reading about the details you are working on. Have you seen the 7 sec silver viper truck? I think he had a pretty nice intercooler set up.

Thank you. The feeling is mutual. :) I think I have seen that truck but I'd love to read more about it. Any suggestions on where to look?

The cores on the Chinese units are questionable. They do cool decently though. I'm thinking about trying an overseas a/a unit actually. I haven't seen a ton of failures.

My thoughts were that as long as it passes my pre-install pressure tests I'll be confident, and if it fails them I'll just send it back and make my own. I can't justify spending double on a name brand cooler when my whole current system, with coolers, piping, turbos, etc, cost less than $1500.

The specs on cages built for 4500lb trucks to run faster then 8.50 from SFI are supposed to be released in the next couple weeks I was told by Randy the president of NHRDA

The specs on cages built for 4500lb trucks to run faster then 8.50 from SFI are supposed to be released in the next couple weeks I was told by Randy the president of NHRDA

I've made every excuse in the book to not work on the chassis lately, hoping that the new specs would come out soon, I cant wait to get my hands on them! Thanks for the update!

I finally got my excuse to wait for 25.6

attachment.php

I was actually starting to work on the truck again, and had purchased a 48" sheet metal brake and a large belt/disc sander so I could get to some projects I had been putting off, but while loading the sander into the back of my truck I slipped and fell out of the back of my dually.

Long story short, I ended up breaking the ball off the end of my humerus, splitting it in half, dislocating the joint, bruising both lungs which caused them to fill with fluid, and damn near dying during surgery.

Worst part of the entire ordeal... I had to buy a gasser with an automatic so I can drive back and forth to work! Damn.

Attachments

• IMG_7224.jpg
    IMG_7224.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dang Brook you slammed hard and it's not even winter. Hopefully this doesn't slow you down on the build too much.

Man, what an awesome thread this is! Tons of good, useful information and very impressive fab work being done! Sub'd for future reference.

No intentions of derailing but I also bought a smaller toolbox to use for welding accessories like you have. I also put together a 110ft extension cord for my welder that I wound up on an air hose reel I bought from Harbor Freight. I'd like to mount it to the toolbox somewhere. I really like the idea of the junction box with 110v and 220v receptacles and I may PM you for more info and pictures of it.

Sorry to hear about the shoulder injury. Hopefully you'll soon be back to 100%.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'll admit, its been a tough few weeks. Going from a 100% do it yourselfer to having to ask for help to change a u-joint can be very hard on a man who prides himself on being self reliant. I had my wife help me change the head light housings on my truck the other day, I was sick from pain med withdrawals, and feeling like a complete turd... it completely crushed my ego. LOL.

Jimbo486: I'll help however I can, but the way I pulled 110 off 220 is not up to code, so do so at your own risk. I'm not 100% sure how I did it, I just plucked around with my meter until I found the right combination of wires. :) But I can pull the back plate off and take a picture if that will help at all.

Using 110' of extension cord will definitely hurt your welders performance. Make sure you have other options for shorter cords.

I'll help however I can, but the way I pulled 110 off 220 is not up to code, so do so at your own risk. I'm not 100% sure how I did it, I just plucked around with my meter until I found the right combination of wires. :) But I can pull the back plate off and take a picture if that will help at all.

Using 110' of extension cord will definitely hurt your welders performance. Make sure you have other options for shorter cords.

Pictures would be great. I'll PM you for those to keep your thread on track.

The extension cord I put together was per an electricians specs using 8ga. wire. The welder specs that at full tilt, it'll only pull 32.5 amps. I've used it a handful of times already and haven't noticed any adverse affects, if any.

Last edited:
I just did a digital hand shake on this 2 axis CNC mill! I can not wait to get it running and making hot rod parts!

attachment.php

Now if I find a small lathe to compliment it!

Attachments

• CNC Mill.jpg
    CNC Mill.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 0
It will! I cant wait to get it running.

I'm just now putting together a control cabinet for the CNC mill. Complete with positive ventilation and a K&N filter I bought at a clearance sale a good 10 years ago. I've been hanging onto that filter, just waiting for a place to use it. The fan (upper right) was salvaged from an old refrigerator.

Useless factoid: My exit fan filter is a K&N drop in replacement for a Dodge Viper. The inlet filter for a Diesel VW Rabbit. They are almost exactly the same size.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Control Cabinet.jpg
    Control Cabinet.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
All this delay culminates in this one part. I've been wanting to anodize aluminum since the day I learned what it was, some 30+ years ago. And today I have done it! And I've done it on a nice part that I designed and machined myself, and I've done it fairly well! I'm not one to get too excited about much, but this... I am just blow away by. I apologize for bragging, I am just so happy, and so excited that I've been able to achieve the exact results I wanted. Something I never thought possible.

Its a tow point that will protrude slightly from my front bumper.

Attachments

• File Dec 24, 7 36 22 PMa.jpg
    File Dec 24, 7 36 22 PMa.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 0
  • File Dec 24, 7 36 56 PMa.jpg
    File Dec 24, 7 36 56 PMa.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 0
  • File Dec 24, 7 38 00 PMa.jpg
    File Dec 24, 7 38 00 PMa.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 0
  • File Dec 24, 7 38 44 PMa.jpg
    File Dec 24, 7 38 44 PMa.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Cool stuff right there. Glad you are healed/healin' up good and enjoying the fruits of your labors man.

Back