build a NEAR bullet proof d70

grncummins

ok I want to know what companies build the internal components alot stronger than factory. everything from axle shafts to the ring and pinion. The goal here is to try to build a near bulletproof dana 70 rear axle on a 600 rwhp sled puller. I would like to hear what yall would do and what aftermarket companies you would use.

Swap to an 80 ring gear and pinion are too small on the 70 to even waste the time to try and build it...

Whoops shouldn't be tellin ya that now since you just bought a 70 axle off me... ;)

Instead of spending money on aftermarket parts for it I would buy a dana 80 for about $600 and bolt it in. A dana 80 in stock form shouldnt have a problem holding up to 600hp.

A dana 70 simply has too small of a pinion shaft to support much power. Along with other things. A dana 80 is a much better way to go about holding some power on the track.

Eric

The cost of such a feat would be extremely expensive! You would be money ahead to buy a d80 and be done with it!!!

The problem is that the pinion is too small to handle any real power...but you could lower the axle gearing, that would ease up on the pinion problem, but then you have created a weak spot where the teeth contact(lower gears have less teeth engaged at the ring and pinion) and have to buy 2 sets of gears if it's 4x4. Now you still have small axles ( 32 spline) to deal with. So all that said...it's cheaper and easier to get a d80!

Back