Build or Blow?

fordassassin

FordAssassin
Sometimes truck has power and sometimes it doesn't. Gets some crappy mileage all the time now. About 1 1/2 months ago, I went on a 400 mile trip and when I got home. I checked around the truck because I heard something spilling and it had Engine Oil under the whole truck. Went to look at oil and it was empty. The dumby oil gauge has never gone to zero and it seems to run fine still.

Today I checked thought I'd see if I have any blow-by. No oil dripping at all, but at operating temperatures, the truck smokes out of the Oil Cap hole. It has a constant white haze out of the oil cap. Is this normal or should I pull the head and see whats going on? Should I just wait and see if it blows up?

How much are new rings and valve guides?

Early 2004
  • 62/65/13 with 480
  • Flux 3's
  • DragonSlayer CP3
  • Hamilton 110 Springs
  • ARP 625's
  • Built Browns/Goerend Transmission
  • Walbro 392 pump with 2 micron system
  • And a whole lot of gauges

Theres no doubt that your piston rings are shot. What made it lose all the oil in the first place. I say if you dont have the cash for a rebuild just keep oil in her and run it kinda easy til it starts knockin or fails to start due to lack of compression. It might last a long freakin time. Im kind of a run'r til she blows kinda person tho.

Theres no doubt that your piston rings are shot. What made it lose all the oil in the first place. I say if you dont have the cash for a rebuild just keep oil in her and run it kinda easy til it starts knockin or fails to start due to lack of compression. It might last a long freakin time. Im kind of a run'r til she blows kinda person tho.

It doesn't loose oil or anything for the past 2 months its been driven at least 4k without any problems. Just sucks diesel.Gets like 480 out of the tank now where it got like 580 out of the tank before.

How much do Rings run from Cummins? We have a Cummins West locally.

It doesn't loose oil or anything for the past 2 months its been driven at least 4k without any problems. Just sucks diesel.Gets like 480 out of the tank now where it got like 580 out of the tank before.

How much do Rings run from Cummins? We have a Cummins West locally.

If your rings are worn out theres a good chance you'll need pistons too. The ones ive seen torn apart that had broke or worn rings, ended up putting all new pistons in too because the ring lands in the piston were worn also. Starting to here and see more and more of this.

the way i look at it, if you let it blow, it could take out more internals. If you tear it apart now you could salvage alot of the parts. But, if money isnt really an issue, and you know that some day, could be tomorrow, could be a year from now, your going to have to tear into it and rebuild it completely, then drive her til she blows

That was my initial plan. To just loan some money and build it before it actually hurts something more severally. Then I will be stuck in the hole a whole lot worse than I am.

It lost oil because the Oil Filter got cut by the intake tube rubbing on it. The twins intake tube was hitting the oil filter and made a tiny hole in it that was gushing oil out of it.

pull the head and look. may have lost the gasket or cracked an injector.

Back