Build Time?

Pudge

I recently bought a '95 12 valve as a project vehicle, I have a '06 Duramax but wanted something that I could thrash on weekends and not have to worry about a ride to work, if you can imagine that. Long story short, I found an oil leak when I got it home and took it to the shop to have it looked at, found to be the front seal. I decided to do the kdp fix at the same time since it was also recommended and they said there would be no extra labor. Well, they got the pin kit in today and found that the pin was already missing and the hole "rigged" shut. The best I could gather over the phone, it's not in the motor because it busted the front plate and I was told that to fix it properly that the cam would have to be removed. So my thoughts are, since it's gotta come out anyways, would it be worth it to upgrade now while it's gonna be out or stay stock. Plans for the truck are sled pulling and drag racing with limited road time. I wanted to ease into the project since I've only had the truck 3 weeks, but here I am. I also wanted to keep the budget fairly low since it is uncertain times, but I'd rather not do anything that I don't have to more than twice. Many thanks.

i would do a cam now, becuase im sure your gonna wanna get pretty crazy with this truck, pulling and racing.

Well, I guess I've made up my mind, a cam it is. I'm gonna have to pick one shop and go with what they say, rather unfortunate but I'm going to hope for good results anyway. Anyone ever run a cam in an other wise mostly stock truck?

Call up Hamilton Diesel. Great guys and a good product. I love my cam from them.

Labor is only getting more expensive daily and since they are going to already be in there I would bite the bullet and slap in a cam.

Well, I thought I made up my mind. I guess I did this time, I told them to go ahead and put the stock cam back in. I decided to save the money here and put it towards the build when it gets serious. After looking, it would seem to be easier to buy a whole extra motor and build it to my likings then just pull a swap. That way if I were to end up with a different model motor the cam wouldn't be worn out or be totaly useless (24v p-pump conversion).

Back