build your own clutch?

If I have a brand new in box 3850 what will it cost to convert to a 3 disk like that?

And go with SBC never a problem! The only people in the clutch market Ill ever need!

does anyone elses not hook up right away when you dump the petal? mine kinda sits still and hesitates for a sec or two and then goes ahead and locks, its fine after that? its a 3850 and it only has like 10-15 hooks on it, less than 10k miles...

Same here. I got about 35-40 hooks on mine and about 10K miles. On modern high speed sleds it seems to still hook up right after a dump the pedal, but on dead wieght drag sleds it takes it a few feet to hook up. That and here latley its been dragging alot and hard to get the tranny in gear when stopped and down shifting. I would love to have a triple disk as well, but I can't seem to get a price from Peter on a trade in for it, or to get mine upgraded to a 4200 Iron Giant.

You running Ceramic or Feramic buttons? My old ceramic 3850 would take a few seconds to catch up, but the new Feramic is instant response. I almost killed the truck taking off with it for the first time.

im pretty sure mine is the feramic, mine has been hard to shift and to get in gear since it was new, i just figured that was the nature of a dd clutch. looks like its not... i think im going to a mcleod after this one is burnt, im not very happy with it!!:bang

clutches

give kenny's pulling a call:rockwoot: their clutches are VERY reasonably priced and my experience with two of them has been great. they held all the abuse i gave them (abuse on the track and all the stupid stuff:bang:Cheer: on the street) and he's always on the phone to help you out anytime.

Talked to Peter at SBC on this triple disc... It requires that some of the webbing on the bellhousing be ground out and something else, but no extra parts. Its a whole different setup than his DD, so you cant turn a DD into a triple. They also cost a bit more than Kenny's machine clutches depending on the material.

Yeah both of my Southbend DDs are hard to get in gear, have been since new. Its a Pain in the ass but i Havent bothered calling peter on it yet either.

well, my thing is, i was talked into the south bend, my buddy (disturbed) has haisley/mcleod in his street truck with like 25000 miles on it with probably 50-60 hooks and a very hard life, it just started slipping pulling a trailer, and in his pull truck the clutch had 40+ hooks last year and we sent it to van and he said to put that many more on it. mine wont lock up with 10-15 hooks, how do i know that the 3 disc will? and i know that there is no way that it is friendly on the street!!

From what I have seen this year some guys have been lucky to get 10-15 hooks out of thier south bends. My clutch has 40+ hooks on it a burnt it so bad last time I cracked the pressure plate. Ordered a new preuusre plater, floater plate and bronze inlays for the flywheel and go redjust it and put it back in with the old discs and hopefully get a few more hooks out of the old disc's then this winter buy new discs. This Haisley has treated me well.

My brother has Kenny's triple disc and it isn't bad on the street just got to take your time with shifting.

My buddy has the SBC triple , its has like a stock pedal feel but will hold , they sliped it on the first pull for like 75ft and it never phased it , on the kennys triple those are weighted were the more RPMS u turn the harder they grab but there a little funny on shifting usally around 2000 rpms is the limit , I have a dual setup like that and really like it I can upgrade to a triple for 200+.. If one wants to pull hi gears and want to tow 8000lbs a SBC triple would b it the down side of the weighted is u need to b turning some RPMS for them to realy hook like they should ...

take a few weights off of it and Kenny's isn't bad. It helps when you shift if your at least at 2,000 rpms. Haisley's competetion puller is a weighted clutch also.

Back