Building For Fuel Mileage

cmnspwr59

'Ol Pokey
First off, this is going in a 2wd short bed '72 C10. Looking for a clean 375-400 HP, but getting the best fuel mileage I can get is most important. I'll be sticking with #2, so no WVO. Suggestions on rear gearing? I'm thinking the truck will be my new DD, so I don't want to be turning 2500 rpm at 70 mph. Also thinking about running a NV5600 but am open to suggestions. Which pump is more desirable for fuel mileage? All help is appreciated.

Not sure yet, going to be low profiles. Truck is getting a 4.5/6 drop.

If you're sticking with the 12-bolt truck rear, I'd go with 3.08s, as that was a factory option. If you are going with a 9", there are more options out there, but I'd think somewhere around 3:1 would be pretty sweet with <33" tire.

Edit: I might have a set of 3.25:1 for a 9" yet too.

I'm still in the R&D process. Trying to figure out how much this is going to cost, what parts I need, etc. The project will get done, it's just a matter of time.

I'd do 2.730 gears, 4500 tranny, and some 5x10 sdx inj also would use skinny tars up front. Prolly get around 25 to 27 out of it that setup.

I get a consistent 24mpg at 65mph with mine....with a leaky injector, no intercooler, a non-lockup converter, and stock timing, so I think 30mpg for yours should be attainable. I'd run as low (numerically) of a rear gear as you could find. If the truck is just a daily driver, I always though a 2.73-geared 8.8 rear would work well.

Figure out your tire height and go from there, try to keep the rpm in the 1600-1800 range for what mph you plan to cruise at. The VE trucks get awesome fuel mileage, 22-25 mpg is normal for a lot of them, I'd really like to see what one of the factory 3.08 geared trucks would get by adding an overdrive lockup tranny.

Once in a blue moon I'll drive the speed limit or less(55-65mph)and my truck will get great mileage, best tank to date so far has been 21.8mpg. That was about 200 miles driving 55-60 and about 400 miles at 75-80. When I drive at 75-80 I average 17.5mpg. I wish I had the patience to drive slow for one tank to see how good of mileage I could get:bang

A G56 from an 07.5+ would benefit this. The OD is taller, I forget how much though.

As far as engine modifications, I was thinking no plate, AFC tuning, 3k springs, maybe a S300G? What injectors?

Stock 215s would work nicely and can usually be had for a reasonable price.

i agree with the 215s.

and a hx35 with a 14cm exhaust on it would work well. the rear end in the 3.0 range would be great. i got 28 with my lowered shortbed with a 47re, but i wanted to try it with the 3.07 rear. no need for a aftermarket turbo for that power range. get the timing around 16.

Back