Building my first transmission, need some help.

SPEEDSHIFT

I have decided to build the trans in my 04 myself. I was hoping the trans gurus on here could help me out, and hopefully some other guys that would like to do the same. I am going to buy another rebuildable 48RE so I can still use mt truck for a DD and if something goes wrong with this one, I will have a spare.

The truck: 2004 305hp with 66/480 twins, 65LPM, dual stock pumps, fully built engine and head hopefully over 900hp on fuel.

Trans parts for the build so far: Transtar S5 Converter, Sonnax billet input and output, Sonnax Billet servo kit, DTT Billet flex plate, 4.2 apply lever, billet anchor and strut, GM gov solenoid.

First off, I am having a hard time finding a trans locally but I may have a lead on a 2wd version.
What all do I need to convert one over to 4x4?
Output shaft and 4x4 tail housing?

I am looking for any advice on what else I should buy for this trans besides the billet intermediate shaft and Georand VB. I do plan on using the Georand Master rebuild kit as well.

What are the opinions on clutches?
Should I use the Raybestos that come in the kit, or Red Eagles?
Should I use the 4.2 apply lever or 3.8?

I appreciate it guys.

Bodie

Stock Clutches, think I would forgo GM solenoid, and just use the upgraded borg one that comes in your Goerend VB.

What about the apply lever? should I use the 4.2 for more holding power, or will that mess with how the VB shifts?

What about the apply lever? should I use the 4.2 for more holding power, or will that mess with how the VB shifts?

Buy the second gear kit from goerend..
Will come with the appropriate ratio for his VB.

The Suncoast kit I used was nice.

The apply lever, well you get mixed opinions on that, stick with whatever the manufacture of the valve body, or valve body kit recommends.

Clutches are really up to you, stocks wil hold just as good as any other. Just take the time to set the clearances right.

Most important, if it doesnt feel right or look right, do it again. You only get one shot when it comes to a transmissions internals. R&R again for something silly sucks.

There are some specialty tools for installing seals, and your od spring..
definitely worth having, borrow them if you can. Would have saved me a second rebuild...

There are some specialty tools for installing seals, and your od spring..
definitely worth having, borrow them if you can. Would have saved me a second rebuild...

Thanks for the info. Do you have any part numbers for those, or any info on them? Are they Chrysler or OTC, or?

Od housing and tailshaft.
Same clutches and everything...
I used miller tools i think... Sorry man, borrowed and returned.

Exactly..
There are variations of the cage, that work in the housing, and out if the housing with a separate press..

If u can borrow the tools fine, they do make the job easier. If not I wouldn't buy them for one trans. I have done several with none of the specialty tools.
Used pieces of steel to press the od assembly, make my own pump puller, use a plastic piece from an oil bottle for the seal lip, cclamp for the servo installs.

the overhaul kit should come with a flip seal tool .its a 6inch round flexible plastic card .. it came with my transtar kit ..you will also need a large c-clamp and 1/14 inch socket. you can buy a cheap one for 25.00 "for the apply piston " buy you self a used intermediate shaft and cut it .use it as a tool for your overdrive unit .. way cheaper than the "miller tool". ebay has some I seen for 30-40 dollars

The "lip seal wizard" is a cool little tool, but I've used a small screwdriver carefully before and it went in fine. If the piston has to be forced, there is a good chance you are about to fubar the lip seal.

Also when the OD Section comes apart (compressing the spring to get to the over drive direct clutches) you need to align it when it goes back together with the intermediate shaft.

Buy yourself some transmission assembly grease, it's blue and it's a huge help in assembling the transmission. Lastly pay attention to which way the Torrington bearings came out. I learned that lesson the hard way. Lol

Buy yourself some transmission assembly grease, it's blue and it's a huge help in assembling the transmission.

I use vasaline mixed with a little atf, cheap and works well.

Get a large table/bench and keep everything in order as it comes out. If you have a question dont guess, ask someone who knows for sure(it will save a lot of problems). These transmissions are really pretty simple, but the first time around it can be overwhelming.

Back