Bunch of questions on installing head studs (with head still on)

For the tap you need 6". MSC calls them a "pulley tap". I bought one off of e-bay for less than $20 shipped last year, well worth it, makes the job way easier.

For the tap you need 6". MSC calls them a "pulley tap". I bought one off of e-bay for less than $20 shipped last year, well worth it, makes the job way easier.

Are you just chasing the existing threads, or are you making new ones? If so how many turns after bottoming?

Will I need to order some more arp ultra-torque lube to completely finish this job?

I still have some left from when I did studs, but others say they need more.

I was able to install the studs and do two retorques with what I had in the little packet. That being said, I used it pretty conservatively. You can be a lot more liberal if you have a bottle full of the ultra-torque.

I finally got the stuff. DieselAutoPower shipped my studs from CA to NY in under 3 days for free. Can't complain about that. MSC shipped my tap in 1 day. Might as well post pics i guess. I get excited about new parts and new projects for the truck.

photo-8.png

photo-9-1.jpg

Last edited:
Hope you can push your truck a little harder now.

Same here, Bud. I got 21 studs in last night and before work this morning then pun a 47rh in a 4x4 this afternoon and now my back is begging for mercy. I cant wait to finish the job up.

It definitely takes a while but is well worth it in the long run. I have done a few sets, and after each one I am always sore for at least a day or two.

Back