buy new or rebuild?

alvispace

Fat Bastard
Is it even a question anymore? I know new trucks are awesome, still refer to my 2007 as my "new" truck... what kills the idea of buying new now is the thought of poor fuel mileage. I got in my head that a new ford gets about 15 mpg at best, is that about as good as it gets without losing the dpf stuff?
Anyway, i am thinking i will rebuild soon due to too much coolant lose and eventual serious failure related to whatever is causing the boiling in the degas bottle. Long story short...i deleted my egr cooler after i was already boiling in the coolant reservior and i still have to add a gallon every 10 to 14 days. Temps are still all fine but since i was having trouble sleeping, thought i would start the exploration of my options for keeping this truck vs buying new. Like i said, thinking that new would disappoint me mpg wise, not to mention a new bill each month. Ive read a rebuild would be in the realm of $10k. That about right for a studded modest hp rebuild? Would like to have 400hp and high reliability and keep my 18-21 mpg highway. Tranny is still strong, have larger intercooler, dont think anything is wrong with turbo.
Maybe i just need to do studs, deck block and heads?
Ideas, commentary etc all are welcome. Suggestions for shops near northern Indiana?

Thanks

Well what do you use your truck for? What kind of power do you want out of it, and who is doing the work? You, or are you paying a shop? Depending on what you consider a "rebuild" I still don't see you spending $10k unless you've destroyed your current engine.

I believe the new trucks are getting better mileage than that unloaded after reading the forums. You can find readings anywhere from 15-20 stock, DPF on, and urea in tact. In fact, the 6.7's don't really seem to gain much mileage by deleting everything. Not like the 6.4's.

I had the same thought process as you and in the end I decided to keep my 6.0, stud it and make everything reliable, vs. buying a 6.7. The 6.7's are SWEET, I just don't want the payment and was sick of dealing with Ford and their crummy customer service/warranty work. They couldn't diagnose their way out of a wet paper bag, I'd hate to see them work on an even more complex system like the 6.7.

You should try some custom tuning BTW. It will be more reliable and more powerful at the same time.

Back