Cab & Chassis Axle Stronger?

JIT

Cummin in Hot
Saturday I had a rear carrier bearing fail and broke an axle. My current axle is a Cab and Chassis D80 and each axle shaft is 2" shorter than a standard Dually rear. Common sense tells me the shorter axles would be stronger but is there something to be said about a longer axle twist or flex?

Would the shorter axle be stronger and better for a pulling application or would a longer axle with more flex be better?

Im about to rebuild this axle but I have a Stock Dually D80 I could build instead. Interested in your thoughts before I move forward.

I can't see it making that big of a difference. If it were me I'd keep the c&c axel.

I am thinking the Dually axle is in the 38" range, the CC in the 36" range.

Using those number the dually axle would flex 5.5% more before breaking. Not sure if it is worth the change or not.

Do you have stock axles?

So why is everyone going to Duals and making custom wheels to meet that 102" rear axle width? Makes me wonder if a narrow axle is moving backwards. I have spacers to split the ruts from the front tires... so what makes wider=better?

I am thinking the Dually axle is in the 38" range, the CC in the 36" range.

Using those number the dually axle would flex 5.5% more before breaking. Not sure if it is worth the change or not.

Do you have stock axles?

I measured them yesterday...

C&C axle shaft is 37"
Standard Dually is 39.5"

So why is everyone going to Duals and making custom wheels to meet that 102" rear axle width? Makes me wonder if a narrow axle is moving backwards. I have spacers to split the ruts from the front tires... so what makes wider=better?

Careful, I think your front spacer are illegal in most organizations. "modifying the track width" even though they aren't dually spacers.

Careful, I think your front spacer are illegal in most organizations. "modifying the track width" even though they aren't dually spacers.

Truck is a factory dually. So does that mean Removing the stock dually spacers is also against the rules?

Yes Stock axles. Ive broken two this season. Time to upgrade but not sure which axle to build!

Last edited:
Truck is a factory dually. So does that mean Removing the stock dually spacers is also against the rules?

Yes Stock axles. Ive broken two this season. Time to upgrade but not sure which axle to build!

I am thinking the wording is "can only use spacers with the accompanying positive offset wheel.

Back