Cab swap

crpower

So I have found an 02 1500 southern quad cab in the same color as my truck. Before I get it I just wanted to see if anyone had prior experience doing the swap. I’m guessing all 3rd gen cabs no matter model are the same?

Quad cabs, yes. They are the same. The single cabs themselves are the same, with exception to the doors. Take note of the rounded corner on the bottom rear portion of the window on earlier single cab doors, vs. newer single cabs.

I did a cab swap on my 05 using a late 02/03 1500 cab. Everything fit like a glove with exception to the SRS module on the trans tunnel. One of the two holes was off a little. Drill it out and move on.

Also a good time to insulate the floor and roof of the new cab with some FatMat. Apply two layers to the back wall. I also utilized the firewall insulation from the 1500 in combination with my diesel firewall insulation.
Automotive Sound Dampening | FatMat Sound Control | Rattle Elimination

Here is my thread about the swap.
3rd gen Cab Swap/Rebuild - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Notes from the differences in cabs:
Things I've noticed from doing this swap so far, gas to diesel cab shells. There are some holes for battery box mounts that need to be tapped on the passenger side. M8 x 1.25 tap.

The SRS airbag module that mounds on the trans hump under the dash, mounts different from 03-05. It's easy to modify and I used a self tapping screw to make it work. Self explanatory if you see it.

Knocked out the hole for 4wd shifter. Had to move the rear seat back cab wall mounts from my 05 to 03 cab. The 03 trucks have a one piece rear seat and 04-05 have 60/40 rear seat. Very easy.

I noticed the seat belt material is different from 03-05. This would bother me so I swapped over all my 05 seat belts. Headliner also has a different pigtail where it plugs in at the driver side a-pillar by the dash.

Windshield wiper motor has a different plug, so I swapped over my wiper assembly from the 05.

Here is my thread about the swap.
3rd gen Cab Swap/Rebuild - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Notes from the differences in cabs:
Things I've noticed from doing this swap so far, gas to diesel cab shells. There are some holes for battery box mounts that need to be tapped on the passenger side. M8 x 1.25 tap.

The SRS airbag module that mounds on the trans hump under the dash, mounts different from 03-05. It's easy to modify and I used a self tapping screw to make it work. Self explanatory if you see it.

Knocked out the hole for 4wd shifter. Had to move the rear seat back cab wall mounts from my 05 to 03 cab. The 03 trucks have a one piece rear seat and 04-05 have 60/40 rear seat. Very easy.

I noticed the seat belt material is different from 03-05. This would bother me so I swapped over all my 05 seat belts. Headliner also has a different pigtail where it plugs in at the driver side a-pillar by the dash.

Windshield wiper motor has a different plug, so I swapped over my wiper assembly from the 05.

Thanks I’ll check the thread out. I’m just getting a shell since the interior is rough on the 1500 cab. So I’ll be putting everything from mine into that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally got around to starting/doing this project. So what’s the consensus on while it’s apart put a heater core in and evaporator? I believe them to be fine just didn’t want to put new china junk in it. IMG_3887.jpeg

Rather be mad at the new parts for being junk than mad at myself when the old ones go down I guess

Be careful with aftermarket evaporators. I've seen some not cool evenly. Try and find Mopar parts.

Absolutely use mopar core and evaporator. I would also highly recommending addressing the damper doors while access is easy. I found the earlier damper doors (02-03) to be stouter in construction when comparing to my 05 damper doors. So I used the 03 doors from my donor. In the end, I should have bought the aluminum doors.
Pull up that carpet and lay some sound mat under it. Especially the back wall of the cab.

Good luck with the project.

Jesus. That image of the dash completely removed and the air box exposed makes me sick to my stomach. I need to pull mine and replace the drivers side temp control actuator that's on the back side. What a complete shit-show the OEM made when they put actuators on the backside of the unit. Freggin' a-holes. 10+ hours of labor to replace an actuator with two screws in it. Sorry, had to vent when I saw that picture. :censored:

Back