Cal Tracs

wrongway

What seem's to be everyone's opinion's on these traction aid's? I would'nt mind putting a set on my 97 Dodge 4x4. Thank's, Gary

Calvert Caltracs are worth the money spent. I just put a set on my SRT-10, although it is like 7 degrees up here, I can feel the difference, I can't wait for it to warm up so these tires can get sticky, instead of frozen blocks LOL .

Ice-Monkey`s truck doesnt have Cal Tracs on it!!!

It has a similar design to the Cal Tracs, they are heavy redesigned by Furo Racecraft to work with his truck!!!

If you buy the Cal Tracs dont think you will get the same results that Ice Monkey has gotten. Furo Racecraft has a new design they will be coming out with this spring. They are called FURO RaceTraks. Thank You.

I didn't like them on my longer truck..just couldn't seem to get them set up right. I finally gave up and built some long bars using the Cal Trac axle brackets.

Hmmmmm,

Letting out all the secrets now, are we......:hehe: :kick:

Yup, they are "tweaked" a bit.:bow:

No question about it, the Furo bars are the ticket !

Interested... so what's the difference between Caltracs or FurrTracks? What is different about either and just regular ladder bars? The Caltracs look pretty short and like they mount front high. Wonder how you don't end up with spring bind when suspension compresses? I've never grasp why people put the front mounts way far forward for any reason other than minimizing bind through full travel. Is there another reason?

wrongway:

Thanks for posting the questions on the "Caltracs!" I need a set of bars for my 1996 Dodge CTD and have been looking at them too. From the Caltracs I have seen on a few friends trucks, they seem to work well and appear to be well built. Looking forward to more input from the members.

--------
John_P

duke1n said:
Interested... so what's the difference between Caltracs or FurrTracks? What is different about either and just regular ladder bars? The Caltracs look pretty short and like they mount front high. Wonder how you don't end up with spring bind when suspension compresses? I've never grasp why people put the front mounts way far forward for any reason other than minimizing bind through full travel. Is there another reason?

Lookie here
http://www.calvertracing.com/info/info.htm

Caltracks is not just ladderbars. They sort of uses the springbind to press the wheels down to the ground.

I didn't find any ET improvement with them over just clamping the springs.

They are kind of a pain for everyday street use. Noise, adjustment, price and install are some drawbacks. I won't be putting a set on my new truck.

That being said, the're customer service is top notch. I had one of the bars lockup and couldn't adjust it, they sent out a new one right away without fuss:rockwoot:

On a 2x4, I think they would be an improvement. On a 4x4 not so sure.

My .02

IdahoRob said:
I didn't find any ET improvement with them over just clamping the springs.

They are kind of a pain for everyday street use. Noise, adjustment, price and install are some drawbacks. I won't be putting a set on my new truck.

That being said, the're customer service is top notch. I had one of the bars lockup and couldn't adjust it, they sent out a new one right away without fuss:rockwoot:

On a 2x4, I think they would be an improvement. On a 4x4 not so sure.

My .02

Rob
I watched your truck hop pretty badly with the Caltracs; Im not so sure they work that well on our trucks.

That's what mine did...they would unload after a launch and the back of the truck would bounce like crazy.

RacinDuallie said:
Did you have enough preload set into them?
I tried many different settings, from cranking it just a 1/2 turn after contact, and up to all the way tight until the truck sat inch or so higher in the rear and everything in between.

I think a properly designed pinion snubber would work better. Ron Butler from Butler racing designed an adjustable one for my Duramax with a single shock absorber on the pinion. We never built it. Butler was Carrol Shelby's chassis designer.

I did basically what Bobo did...never was right and if I did get it close it was horrible on the street...then I'd have to start all over again next time to the track.

So what are you guys using if the Caltracs are a PITA? Basic ladder bar work ok? I'm about to either make some or buy the Caltracs and sounding like making some might be the way to go.

Back