Calling all dually draggers...

zfaylor

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I know we are far and few between but who else drags a 2wd dually?

I bought mine due to pricing on 2wd single cab dually trucks. Turns out it is my favorite truck to date.

Couple of questions:

Is it worth my time attempting to keep the duals with some lighter duty tires aired down?

If not what slicks (or drag radials) are you running? If the drums are the same as the single wheel I assume I can research the other 2wd threads.

My truck isn't too wild but trying to finalize some things before the tracks open next month. This is my first venture with a 2wd at the track.

S464
180 pump
5x16
A1 studs
Stock stall dpc triple
Full manual with b&m ratchet
Caltracs with 2 leaf springs.

I will be running a 4wd dually this year since srw beds are all rusted out or over priced. From what I've seen on the 2wd duallies most guys run a big single slick. Check out the dually in the for sale section or talk to short bus I believe he built the truck.

I plan on running a single slick on each side. But for now the 4 235s hook pretty good. If you haven't done any suspension work yet id suggest that. Maybe some cal tracs, or taking out a leaf or two. Just to get the weight to transfer. I pm'd short bus about cal tracs hasn't responded yet but really with no weight over the axles best bet is to throw a big slick under it and haul ass

I had a feeling a big slick was best to go to now. I built some cal trac style bars and only have 2 leaf springs.

I have some 3rd gen dually rims I thought about tossing on with some sort of performance car or SUV tire. They're 17s so there are a few more options than with the 16s it came with. If I could find a decent sport tire and retain the duals I would like to mainly for the ease of not changing tires at the track. The other reason being I would rather run 12s with a stock appearing truck than run 12s with fat slicks. I know nitto 420s are available for a 17" rim but they aren't very tall IIRC. Just picking peoples brains for input.

I know the steel rims are a killer for weight though. Been stripping weight and moving as much as I can to the bed. Ordered a tranny cooler for the bed and only have 1 battery. Thought about relocating that and possibly doing a fuel cell while I have the tank out installing the cal tracs.

What rear do you have? And hiw hard was it to build your own cal tracs?

Dana 80 rear. I will try to snap some pictures tonight. They aren't difficult to build. Just make sure you give yourself plenty of room for adjustment with multiple holes. If you have a good welder and a torch you can probably get it done. Depend how much of a cheap azz you are really LOL I have quite a bit of time into mine but I have more time than money on weeknights after work.

I would get Real Wheel to build you some 16x12 aluminum like mine. Throw on a set of M&H 12.0/16's and be done.

I would get Real Wheel to build you some 16x12 aluminum like mine. Throw on a set of M&H 12.0/16's and be done.

That is along the lines of what I was thinking but started the thread thinking maybe someone smarter than myself knew something more. I will price these and rock the all terrains for the time being.

After doing some thinking I realized 4 tires is probably counter productive. Yes, there is twice as much tire touching the ground but you have twice as many sidewalls keeping your tires stiff.

Hope that makes sense LOL

What part don't you understand?
Real Racing Wheels build what they call a "puller's special". Nothing fancy, solid aluminum, lightweight, back spacing of your choice, steel inserts that accept factory style lug nuts. They may make them wider than 12", just have to call and see.
9edfcba789caf44cd863eae5e333c5db.jpg

http://www.realwheel.net

M&H makes a good drag slick.

Does any of this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part don't you understand?
Real Racing Wheels build what they call a "puller's special". Nothing fancy, solid aluminum, lightweight, back spacing of your choice, steel inserts that accept factory style lug nuts. They may make them wider than 12", just have to call and see.
9edfcba789caf44cd863eae5e333c5db.jpg

http://www.realwheel.net

M&H makes a good drag slick.

Does any of this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense now. I didn't knkw who real racing wheels was

Back