cam gear?

it definately helps. 350 for 30 minutes and it pops right on.

Thanks i wasnt sure how long to heat it up. I think that would be alot better than a torch!

Put the cam in the freezer for 30mins and put the gear in the oven for 30mins and it just falls on. Pretty cool trick actually.

i just p pump my truck and didnt warm the cam gear it went fine just have two people there where your pressing it makes things go easier

I don't heat or freeze anything and the gears press right on.

I just slowly heated on the gear with the torch about 10" away and moved it a lot so it heated pretty evenly, the cam was about 30* my helper held compressed air on the cam while I was heating, it litteraly just fell on

The last time i put the gear on we didnt heat it or put the cam in the freeze and we just put the end of the cam on the bottom of the press, when we pushed the gear on it look like it bent the cam an when we let the press off it straightend out. I thought i was going to break the cam for a minate.Buddy of mine said he had something that would hold the cam without pushing on the other end.

Thought i would just try putting the gear in a oven for a bet and the cam in the freeze and see if it will just slide on.

With Cummins original tool you can remove the cam gear without removing the cam from block, easy.

With removed cam is allwasy better (easyer) to heat the gear

More people have ovens than presses.

If you use a torch (which is a no-no anyway on cast materials), heat from the outside in. If you heat the inside more, it will expand faster, stress the gear and possibly crack it.

I suppose I'm lucky enough to have access to a big press. We use a bearing puller tool (the one with two half moons that you bolt together and tighten to pop the bearing loose) to support the camshaft and press the gears on and off. You can do it by yourself, just keep ahold of the cam with one hand and operate the jack with the other.

Back