Cam install

tony597fitter

Tax Payer
Since I am pulling the head off to o-ring, stud and port & polish her. Is it any easier to do a cam install with the head off? What would the change in instructions be, if any?
Thanks
Tony

Yes it is easier mainly because you can get the wooden dowels into the tappets much easier because there is a lot more clearence back towards the firewall. There really isnt any change in instruction, just makes it easier in that respect.

Eric

That is when I did my swap with the head off like Eric said it is much easier to get the dowel rods in the tappets IMO.$.02
Brandon

P.S. Dont forget to pull the lift pump when you go to pull the cam out!

What cam were you thinking about using? I would entertain this idea if there was a significant bump in power but from what I have read it only helps the turbo spool a little quicker and keeps the engine running a bit cooler as far as power I'm n ot to sure??

Did you intend to take the head off to do other work anyway? If it's all good, you could leave it on, remove the lifter cover, and just hold the lifters from there. I just held mine up with zip ties when I pulled my cam. Of course it reall didn't matter since the engine was being completely pulled down, but the lifters stayed where I stuck them that way.

I need to o-ring and stud her, with a little porting and polishing. I popped the head gasket (I hope) a couple of weeks ago.

I am looking for faster spool and a little more cool. Some MPGs will be nice too.
I do alot of towing when the camper is on it, so it would be nice to have it done. Especially with the head off.
Its only MONEY!
i havent decided on the cam yet. I am loving the MaxSpool vs. F1 Helix thread right now.

Back