Cam Question

trqmnstr

quite a few years ago I had a shop do some work on my truck before I started doing my own work and one of the things i had them do was a new cam. Im kind of question if it was actually done or not. It is suppose to be a maxspool 2 cam. are there any distinguishing marks that would tell me that it is what it is suppose to be or would i have to have it measured? :thankyou2:

There are numbers engraved on the end of the ones Ive bought over the last few years.

ok ill take a look . Is a stock cam blank or does it have numbers engraved as well?

I have Maxspool cam with no identifying marks.

Quick way to tell, would be to use a caliper to measure the base circle, then measure the lobe to get the lift.

I have a cam question as well ... I have a 215 pump(887) and injectors in my 95 ... I'm wanting more towing power and have gotten the suggestion of the helix2 cam ? ... havent read much but what are the type of gains one might expect with this cam .... currently im sitting at 15.5* timing, hx35w , plate stock but FF , and star is would almost off,& 3K spring ..... i like to drive on the streets but I do expect to tow with this rig soon ... dont want a race cam just more low end to mid , I'm planning on doing more mods with taxes this year so looking for good bang for buck

If anyone has a complete unknown cam that they want full specs on I can put it in our cam doctor for the price of shipping

hmmm ok once i get it out of the engine ill take a look and probably end up measuring it anyway. thanks

I have a cam question as well ... I have a 215 pump(887) and injectors in my 95 ... I'm wanting more towing power and have gotten the suggestion of the helix2 cam ? ... havent read much but what are the type of gains one might expect with this cam .... currently im sitting at 15.5* timing, hx35w , plate stock but FF , and star is would almost off,& 3K spring ..... i like to drive on the streets but I do expect to tow with this rig soon ... dont want a race cam just more low end to mid , I'm planning on doing more mods with taxes this year so looking for good bang for buck

Injectors? Much better bang for buck

If anyone has a complete unknown cam that they want full specs on I can put it in our cam doctor for the price of shipping

May take you up on that. Bought the truck in my sig a couple years ago. Pulled the engine over the weekend, planning on rebuilding the short block and found this when I pulled the head.

P1000588.jpg
[/URL]

II built this truck (bought it from one of the turbo shop employees) and put one of their street cams in it. The guy has no idea on the cam's specs.

Apparently they never checked P to V clearance :doh: PM me some info if you don't mind.

Last edited:
May take you up on that. Bought the truck in my sig a couple years ago. Pulled the engine over the weekend, planning on rebuilding the short block and found this when I pulled the head.

P1000588.jpg
[/URL]

II built this truck (bought it from one of the turbo shop employees) and put one of their street cams in it. The guy has no idea on the cam's specs.

Apparently they never checked P to V clearance :doh: PM me some info if you don't mind.

I know what cam that is!

where are the numbers engraved at? i dont quite have the cam out yet to look over the whole thing. :ft:

Mine is stamped on the gear end of the cam.

Thanks for the info T$ and Smokem, search button time.

Back