Cams in street applications!

Blah blah blah my 66 is a blast to drive blah! Let's see how you feel with the static timing. :D

fwiw- a street truck/dd doesn't NEED a cam but seeing how a p&p head and cam spools the 66/480 setup on my truck I'd imagine the same flow with a smaller charger/chargers would be pretty nice.

I have the HD big stick also and you can notice the faster spooling of larger chargers. Hey skynard what tolerances are you running on your intake and exhaust valves??

intake .010
exhaust .020

So it sounds to me like the drop in street cams really help spool the larger chargers, but they don't make a very significant improvement as far as mo powa! this is the kind of feed back I am looking for

I have an old haisely street/sled puller. Gained no less than 2mpg and ALOT more top-end power and less egt. Also noticeable better spool!

Just finished my p pump conversion, got a killer b from bill fletcher at diesel pro's. Have not driven the truck much or very hard, but it gets on these twins and just keeps rollin. No chit a quarter throttle gets me to 90mph+ real quick, and cruising boost is around 10 pounds plus by 2K. Twins are 62/71/13 over 83/88/26 ht4c. Haven't got to play with wastegates much but I am very pleased with it.

My Helix 2 showed its most improvement in spoolup and EGT's with towing... Towing hard with Mach 7's and Twins, it will sit at 1150*. Before the cam it would climb to 1300 with the same acceleration.

Lavon

My Helix 2 showed its most improvement in spoolup and EGT's with towing... Towing hard with Mach 7's and Twins, it will sit at 1150*. Before the cam it would climb to 1300 with the same acceleration.

Lavon

Is that the only mod you did at the time? if so that's good info

Yeah thats what mine are running at. I was wondering if it would be a mistake to make them just a touch tighter? Probably not worth the risk to get just a little more opening of the valves.

Yeah thats what mine are running at. I was wondering if it would be a mistake to make them just a touch tighter? Probably not worth the risk to get just a little more opening of the valves.

my diesel pros cam was definitely the money as he had the best price also. my truck is a street only truck. It was night and day difference on how my silverbullet 66 spooled before and after the cam install.

I have a DieselPros super secret squirrel cam in mine and it made the SuperBSpecial spool WAY better. Lower EGTs and a slight MPG gain. Haven't run it at the track again since install, but hoping it will improve 60' and 1/8th times. No significant HP gains with the cams on the dyno, but we do see small hp (20-30) in certain areas and the curve is shifted left in every case.
We have installed several of the Hammy cams (105.5's) in customer's trucks that were apart for one reason or another and all report better driveability and 1-3MPG gains. Totally worth the money if you are in there for anything else, or if you can do it yourself. It just FEELS better to drive.
FYI, you can run a little tighter (.08-.09 intake and .18ish for exhaust) for even greater effect

I did a bunch of other stuff when I put my Helix 2 in (Flux 2.5s, wild rail, upgraded the Smarty to TNT-R PoD, etc), but the mods made a significant difference. Spoolup with the 66 is great on the street. I pulled at the local fair once, and the engine sounded great at 4,000 rpm. I didn't see any improvement at all in fuel economy.

However, in 4wd, it's a smoky dog when you're stuck in mud...you're either pourin coal like a freight train cause you can't get the turbo to light, or you're slammin the rev limiter.

Has anyone ever swapped between the Helix/HD/MaxSpool on the same truck?

--Eric

Last edited:
Has anyone ever swapped between the Helix/HD/MaxSpool on the same truck?

--Eric

Yes I swapped from a helix 2 cam to a HD big stick cam on my truck and my 62/71/14 spooled a little faster and the egts stayed a slight bit lower. I like the HD cam over the helix 2 cam but both were an improvement over stock. The HD big stick had a little more lift and duration than the helix 2 cam.

I went from another company's stage 1, couldn't tell too much as I did the build all at once. Just pulled it in favor of a diesel pro's 108. I'll be driving the truck sunday. I think the biggest difference you will see in a cam, reguardless of the manufacturer in better response, maybe better mileage, should be less smoke and the power curve should be much broader and even, without so many spikes on the dyno chart. I do agree, probably one of the last mods to do though....Until you get crazy amounts of fuel, air and tuning, your money is probably better spent elsewhere...

cool I'll have to set the valves a little tighter next week when I'm installing my new dragon flows.

Back