Camshafts

9824vhammer

I have a question about the 12v and 24v camshafts. I want to use the mechanical lift pump from the 12v, so i was wondering if you can use the 12v cam and gear and just line up the dots? Or do you have use the 24v gear? Im just making sure the dots on the cam gears are in the same place between the two cam gears so im not out of time. Any information would be great.

Just buy an aftermarket cam. The hamilton big stick cam come with the fuel pump lobe plus you'll get better spool, driveability, cooler egt's, and mileage. The 12v cam will be a step down from the factory 24v cam.

If your truck has a crank position sensor, you can run the 12v gear. If it doesn't (01-02), then you need to run the 24v gear as there is a tone ring on the back of it.

But like what Tyler said, the 12v is a step backwards in terms of performance. Just about any aftermarket cam has the fuel pump lobe, as long as its not a 24v regrind.

I was thinking about buying a aftermarket cam but since i use the truck for work I’m going to use the 12v cam and gear to save money since I have a whole 12v engine for parts. I’m also only aiming for 400 to 450hp so I don’t see needing a aftermarket cam to achieve those numbers. I’m trying to get some hp but also all the reliability of the p pump since I drive 300km a day. I just wanted to make sure the timing marks on the 12v gear are identical to the 24v gear. Is there any special way of installing the cam or do I just align the marks on the gears and be done with it? Thanks again for any advice.

Should i make sure the dots are aligned on the old cam before i pull it out? Or can i just pull the old cam out regardless of its relation with the crankshaft and then just bar the engine over to make the marks on the crankshaft gear and the new cam meet? Thanks

dont mean to hijak but im just curious, you can run a 24v cam gear? i was under the impression you needed the 12v cam gear

Last edited:
12v pump gear. Not cam gear.

And an aftermarket cam will be beneficial at those levels and will make daily driving that much nicer.

It can get a bit overwhelming. If you need any help just pm me. Its a really simple process. Just lots of little parts to round up.

Back